Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

X 'Lander, or Sport Utility Blind

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Slowmo, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Slowmo

Slowmo Senior Refuge Member

I have a power hunter now, and want to upgrade to a FA X'lander or SUB. I'd like some opinions on which one I should choose. I'd like to put my dog in if possible, and a gun scabbard would be great. Which would you get?

2. NEHONKERS

NEHONKERS Senior Refuge Member

If you are going to have your dog in with you I would look at the Legacy. I would take the SUB over the Xlander any day.

3. GVGoose

GVGoose Elite Refuge Member

I think you may have a hard time fitting a dog in the xlander...I think you could do it in the SUB but you would be crowded. For just those 2 I'd take the SUB

Why not get the dog his/her own blind? If not you may want to look at getting a bigger blind if you don't wanna be so crowded...

4. wooduck26

wooduck26 Elite Refuge Member

Unless your Ethiopian, and you hunt with a Chiuaua your not gonna fit both into an X'Lander!

5. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

Not a good idea to have the dog in your blind with you....Just think, in the heat of the moment you go to mount your gun and your dog breaks and your gun is pointing/shooting at your hunting buddy next to you!!

If your dog obeys the 'kennel' command, you should have no problem with their own blind.

Safety, Safety, Safety

6. ty stromquist

ty stromquist Senior Refuge Member

Had a guy do this last year that hunted with me. Was telling me how awesome his dog sat in there. Next thing you know I look at him after we just shot a barrage at a flock of snows to see his face tore to shreds. His dog broke out when he shot and ran his face over and tore his lip open. He needed alot of stiches. It was sick.

Ill stick to my dog blind anyday.

7. Slowmo

Slowmo Senior Refuge Member

My dog is too old to do that! She's 10 and small at about 60 pounds. I'm only 160 too. I just can't get her to stay in a dog blind. She has to find the very highest point then stands on her tipee toes to see everything. She's even gotten on top of a fallen tree before. I'm not going to force her to do anything anymore, we passed that up about 4 years ago. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of building her a goose costume, and letting her lay in the decoys b/c I've been leaving her home, and she's only got another season left probably after this one.

Thanks for the input guys.

8. charger19

charger19 Senior Refuge Member

I keep mine on her leash in her blind.I have a sub and a gooseview xterminator.The x has a zipper at the bottom so it's easier to get the dog in and out and there was plenty of room.We used it last year.She likes being in there with me but didn't like the gun going off over her head.And I like not having her moving around on me.

9. wabo

wabo Senior Refuge Member

PUT THAT DOG ON A LEASH!!!!!! A dog that breaks when the shooting starts is a dog that can knock a guy holding a loaded gun over, possibly causing an accident. A dog that breaks is an out of control dog.............. :rolleyes:

10. Toby0987

Toby0987 Senior Refuge Member

I have the X-lander and my brother has the SUB. I would get the SUB if you can trailer it and drop it in the field everytime. If you have to walk at all, I would get the X-lander. Dragging the SUB is a pain. The X-lander allows you to move around a lot more.