Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

X69 or 69X (Take 2)

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by GunNRun, Mar 23, 2007.

1. GunNRun

GunNRun Senior Refuge Member

A few days ago, I asked for help in determining if a tarsal band I shot on a Snow goose in SD last week was read X69 or 69X. I received several respones but none gave me the correct answer.

For future references, the letter code is 1st, followed by the numbers.

The correct identification for this bird would be X69.

The number 9 is 'mis-shaped' on purpose to resemble a triangle atop the number as to not confuse it with the number 6.

This is twice I've had bands with numbers that could have gone either way. Last bird was a Jack Miner bird that was either 89609 or 60968.

That was resolved to the dismay of the foundation; the bird having not one character that was identifiable regardless of the way the band was read.

Just a word of thanks to all who helped. :tu

2. callngeese

callngeese Senior Refuge Member

Congrats on the band...that is one i'm looking for to add to the collection. I thought the letter was first or else the sideways character was normally first from what I recall.

3. kansasgoose

kansasgoose Senior Refuge Member

tarsus bands, like you got, were used before neck bands became the standard, but I believe the way you read them would be the same as how you read a neck band, or collar...Collars used in the Arctic Goose Joint Venture are 3-digit collars in a "broken" pattern. This means that the codes are not all in a row with the same alignment. The character that should be recorded first is the vertical character. The two horizontal characters are read last. It is important to sketch the collar or write it as "Vertical T Horizontal N5" or "T-N5" for the pictured Ross' Goose. This helps the researchers by indicating that you are starting with the correct character. With the Arctic Goose Joint Venture collars an expanded character set is often used with letters not used in other collaring projects. The characters may be stylized allowing the collars to be read when only half of the character can be seen. The most common character to cause confusion is the 9, which has the circle at the top transformed into a triangle.

4. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Elite Refuge Member

GunNRun,

Or as you go by.....Mick Davis.

I talked to Sam Eubanks. He said not only did you not pay him for the last day that he guided you.....you also kept some of his stuff.....and to top it off you tried to buy his lease out from under him.

So not only are you a liar...but a low down thief as well.

If you think Sam is going to forget this........good luck!

If I were you I would never show your face around those parts again. Apparently you don't understand who you @@@@@@ over!

5. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

I'm glad we don't have to put up with this crap in the fall. Liars, thieves and leasers.

6. Canuk

Canuk Senior Refuge Member

that only works if you have one letter and 2 numbers.

I have seen 3 letters, I have seen 3 numbers.