Xl900 20 ga.

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by eagle rider, Jun 13, 2018.

1. eagle rider

eagle rider Refuge Member

This little thing melts clays. It swings really fast and the long recoil action is incredibly soft to shoot. I had Carlsons put a choke system into it (thin wall). Would love to use it for early season wood duck teal. Maybe try some BC#4 1oz loads if I can find them. Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown.jpeg

Sunklands likes this.
  2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I'm assuming that's and Ithaca/SKB XL 900, nice shape for a 42 to 46 year old shotgun depending on when it was manufactured.
    Enjoy it and hope it holds together well for you, parts are still available for them but extremely expensive!!

3. eagle rider

yes sir..... I hope so too. I don't want to abuse it so nothing breaks. Were they trouble prone?

4. 10GAGENUT

Not really any major problems, the gas actions in them were a bit complicated.
    The old SKB, who built the Ithaca models, went out of business 10 years ago, parts are available but it's supply and demand for pricing.

eagle rider likes this.
  5. eagle rider

If I told you that I bought it for $300 would you believe it?

Sunklands and Drakehammer like this.
  6. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

7. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Is yours gas or recoil operated? I have one just like that, that is recoil operated. Underneath the forearm is a large recoil spring, if so. It’s my understanding that the silver finish receiver guns were all gas operated.

8. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

The inlay is nice but, that wood makes it POP!!!

9. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

That would make sense. I have one with the silver background on the engraving and it's a gas gun. My grandparents had one too but it went to my cousin. I would've liked to have had it but at least I got the Belgium Light 12. The gas system is a little different. I know a guy that has a 2 3/4" 12 that he absolutely loves and has tried to buy the 20 from me for years. Sweet little gun but I haven't shot it in years.

10. 10GAGENUT

I would, think a lot of people today wouldn't even know who Ithaca or SKB was and those who did would know the original Ithaca Gun went bankrupt in 1978, which would make a lot of buyers pass on the gun.
    You got a nice shotgun at a reasonable price..enjoy it.