XLT or Breaker

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by jbrown, Oct 23, 2017.

1. jbrown

jbrown Elite Refuge Member

whats the difference in these two calls and which is your favorite?

2. William Ball

William Ball Refuge Member

From what I understand the xlt has less hold for ringing hail calls. But from my experience my breaker will ring pretty loud. And it's defentily the easiest single reed I've ever blown. I love my breaker. But I've never blown a xlt. Hope that helps.

3. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

XLT has the most versatility in the Echo line. Gets as loud as an open water and will ring on top, but also has a plain nasty bottom. Gets almost as soft as a Timber. XLT has a good amount of hold, but not like a Pure Meat or Timber. Some of the hold, I think, has been taken out of the XLT since the old Comp Meat versions were made. Breaker has just a touch less volume than the XLT and won't ring like an XLT. Still has a great hunting style hail "ring" if you will. Breaker has a little less bottom than the XLT also. Breaker is prob my second favorite Echo, just behind the XLT. But they are close enough in performance that I don't see the need for both on the lanyard. They don't compliment each other well, to me. I'd rather have an XLT and a Timber or a Breaker and a Timber on the string. The Pure Meat is another great Echo that is easy to run. I think it gets overlooked a lot, for whatever reason.

4. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

i just got my breaker today in the mail. holy balls is it a fun call. will get a run on the string for sure sunday

William Ball likes this.
  5. William Ball

William Ball Refuge Member

Got a chance to run a wood xlt last night. Really liked it. But since I have a breaker and openwater. I just can't pull the plug. But it ran like a dream up and down the scale.