XM Radio

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by tfjar15, Feb 21, 2005.

1. tfjar15

tfjar15 New Member

I am interested in buying a XM satealite radio and taking it to Alaska. I contacted XM's customer service about service in Alaska. This is their response:
    Dear Thomas,

Thank you for contacting XM Satellite Radio. We are always happy to hear from people thinking about becoming XM Subscribers, and joining the 3.2 million listeners who are enjoying XM Satellite Radio now.

We have reviewed your questions regarding XM Satellite Radio service availability in Alaska. Unfortunately, XM is only licensed to provide service to the US (All states except Alaska and Hawaii), its territories and adjacent waters. Outside of these areas XM is very careful to not exceed the signal strength defined by international regulations. At some locations outside the defined service area, however, even if XM is within the transmission limits, the signal level is still strong enough for you to get service. In general, it is not easy to answer coverage questions for locations outside of the US since XM has not designed the system to work and has not tested outside the US.

Does anyone know of any users in Alaska? I am thinking of around the Talkeetna area?

Thanks

2. AKCAT

AKCAT Senior Refuge Member

I have the home sirrius on and it works great.I just bought a suburban and the salesman was telling me that the XM in the vehicles don't work well, which is true we got a couple of guys at work from TX and they have the XM in thier truck and the sat just isn't strong enough up here.