Y-Board Construction?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Traxion, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

I have a few questions on building Y-Boards. I'm running all Real Geese now and am happy with them. I have tried the drill route and it is OK. I also have two slide hammers that actually work really, really well. But I think I want to try out some Y boards too. I've got access to everything to build them. I am thinking 1/8" x 3/4" flat bar with a 3/4" x 1/2" rectangular tube welded on to place the stake into. My main questions are-

What kind of length do you suggest I use for the longest arm? Thinking 36", maybe even 42". Doesn't give huge separation to the decoys, but should be enough.

Is a handle on the end necessary? I can see some convenience to carrying them. I also just thought of a small loop so I could rope a bunch together for storage, but at that point you might as well have a handle.

Worth it to go aluminum? I haven't priced the difference, can weld either but thinking steel should be fine.

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

2. 1quacker

1quacker Elite Refuge Member

I built some v boards for the water and also have the pre made ones from sitting ducks. Im sure the arm length info is on their website even. Do a search for v boards from Pitboss and you will see photos from both. I will tell you if time is worth anything then just buy the things. I bought the wood, stainless bolts, sealer, paint, time to do it, dry and assemble. Yes their is something about building something but holy crap it takes some time. I use mine on land also.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  3. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

I would think the steel would be heavy.
    I did like 1quacker and made my own out of wood.
    I can use them on land and water.

Danny

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

That seems heavy to me. Maybe not. If I were to make some (I own a doz Sitt'n frames) I would probably make em out of 3/4" plywood, properly sealed.

The thing with silos is, you want to get them WAY apart. 2 steps is best, 3 is better. I hunted with Darryl Wise a couple of times. He invented the Real Geese silo. He explained that, when the birds are far away, looking at the set, the way the silos work, the perceived distance between them shrinks. If you ever get WAY away from a silo set, 3-400 yards, you will see what I mean. He took 3 steps between decoys. So, there is already a compromise with using boards. If you make em, make em as long as you can, and still handle/store them easily.

Necessary? No, but it is nice. Your rope loop would work fine. What will keep the boards from falling down, if they are not attached to something solid at the center.

My first thought, concerning metal, was I would do them with aluminum. (My actual first thought was wood) A guy could probably figure a way to use conduit also. No reason it has to be flat. Even if you wanted flat to attach the decoys, you could just hit the spots with a hammer. Just spit-balling here.

I thought about making some, then bought a doz Sitt'n boards. They are well made, will last a lifetime, and when you figure out the 'per year of use' cost, that comes out pretty cheap. I get the 'wanting' to make em yourself, I do stuff like that too. But, like people are always saying they can make a jerk string cheaper than companies sell them for, sometimes, pressing the 'order' button is just a better option.

5. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

I'm not really into the DIY projects anymore. But, I need some welding/manufacturing projects for kids so this was an idea I am contemplating. Would only be the metal costs. Wood wouldn't be a bad option other either, just thought metal would stand up a bit better. Could do 1/2" flat bar instead if needed.

My biggest hang up is the distance apart that the decoys will be. I spread them WAY out when I use them. More like 5-6 steps in many cases. I am not sure I will like decoy positioning with even 4' lengths. The slide hammer might just have to do........

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

You can adjust by setting the frames way apart. Like little tiny family groups. It actually looks ok.

API likes this.
  7. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Where do you live. I have 28.
    32 inch fine.
    Do not over think this.