Yakutat Cast & Blast?

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by C-dizzle, Aug 6, 2009.

1. C-dizzle

C-dizzle Senior Refuge Member

I know you folks probably get this all the time with us main-landers coming up there fishing all the time but I thought I'd ask the "natives" first for there opinion/advice. I'll be up in Yakutat for silvers during Sept. 11-18th and would love to sneak a morning or two of duck hunting in if I get a chance, kind of a prequal to our season, if you will. Does anyone on here have any experience and knowledge of this area (as far as waterfowl'n goes)? Can't wait to get up there anyway. I've always considered Alaska the Mecca for everything outdoors and look forward to my first visit up there. Thanks!

2. Blackbart

Blackbart Elite Refuge Member

Was up there 2 years go same time that you'll be there. I talked to a lady at the hardware store who told me her son hunts ducks around there and had done OK. Saw lots of cranes in the area and passing through.

3. C-dizzle

C-dizzle Senior Refuge Member

Returned home from Alaska Saturday and still can't believe what a great time I had. It sure was everything I had heard and seen, and then some:bow:bow. As far as cast and blast, not much right close to Yakutat (Situk River) that I saw, although there were some sea duck cruis'n by our skiffs but I'm not too familiar with them and didn't have any binocs. However, just in case anyone else is interested, we did a flyout to the Tsiu River mouth and not only murdered the silvers there but waves of puddle ducks were bombing in the tidal flat/pot holes about 50-100yds from where I was fishing and if I ever do it again I will surely bring the shotgun and possibly a few deeks. I think the Tsiu River is between Cordova and Yakutat.

I'm sure you fella's in Alaska see all kinds of fish pictures but I did catch one silver that tipped 20 lbs on the scale. Didn't get a length or girth but it was the big fish of our trip. Even beat my buddies 19 lb. king.:grvn

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see he was starting to turn pink and he dwarfed the others.
    [​IMG]