Yard weed ID- HELP!

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by navy hunter, Sep 27, 2012.

1. navy hunter

navy hunter Refuge Member

Well I have exhausted all my search abilities trying to ID this plant. It's is taking over my yard and I am not sure how to rid myself of it. Without pullin it by hand. Tons of knowledge on this site so I am hoping someone can help. Description: growing in Bermuda grass, growing close to the ground, stiff wirey stems, several buds on plant, produces a white daisy like flower, very slight purple tint to the flower, hurts when you step on it barefoot but no needles or thorns just very stiff and hard, dark green leaves and stem, thin narrow leaves. Growing in Texas, near Ft. Worth. Not mayweed chamomile, or Oxeye, that I can tell. I will try to post a pic taken with my cell phone. I am new to the lawn maintenance stuff. Just bought my first house and need to try and keep up with the "jones's". Thanks for the help. There will be plenty more questions coming soon I am sure, so I hope y'all don't mind....:scratch
    Ryan

2. navy hunter

navy hunter Refuge Member

Well I tried to post a picture via my cell phone but wasn't able to get it on. Computer is still packed away from the move until I get a new desk for the office. Anyone able to receive a picture via text message or email and post it here for me?

3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Try some 2-4-D on it and see what happens, it won't hurt your grass.

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Maybe some type of spurge? I've got that in my centipede and the Tenacity I sprayed only killed a small amount of it. Will 2-4-D hammer it?

BTW NH, I'll get your pics up. PM sent.

5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Matt P

Matt P Elite Refuge Member

Definitely family Asteraceae and likely an Aster species, there are many and they are hard to pin down to species but this could be Aster linariifolius it occurs in Texas and is sometimes called 'stiff aster' because of its almost needle like leaves

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]