Yardage from a Tree

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Duckin Around, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Duckin Around

Duckin Around Senior Refuge Member

Newbie here. How do you fellas calculate the range from a tree stand if you don't have a range finder? I'll have a good idea of the distance from tree to target, but how different will that be from the tree stand to target? Is there an easy formula if the treestand is 15 ft high, without needing to bring a scientific calculator along:nutz

Thanks for any info!

2. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

You always shoot the true horizontal (level) distance to the target, if your on fairly level ground, pace off the distance to trails, shooting lanes etc. from the base of the tree,thats your distance.And at 15ft. up 30yd.out the diag. is only 14" more. You can make a "cheat sheet" with distances to your spots and have it with you, if you get rattled a quick look and you know the distance.Good luck.

3. dougburris

dougburris Senior Refuge Member

.93" to every foot over normal shootg positon.
    then if i have a target at 20 yds and i am 14.2 ft higher than my normal shooting hieght then add 13.2 " then my actual shooting distance is 21.32 feet from target.
    so to make simple for every 10' i clime i need to add 9.3 " to my target
    ok so just put the 20 yrd pin at the top of the intended spot if i am 20 yrs away and 20 feet up

4. seachicken

seachicken Refuge Member

good ol' pythagorean theorem....a^2 + b^2=c^2 a=treestand height, b=ground distance to target and c=distance from treestand to target

5. RETRO

RETRO Elite Refuge Member

mine does not compensate for the height and I have been shotting a bow for over 20 years and klilled plenty of deer..I shoot it for what my Mikon 440 says it is..Never missed for that reason..

6. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

I just pace off my spots like was mentioned and call it good.

What I hate is the close ones......especially if they are moving.

7. Duckin Around

Duckin Around Senior Refuge Member

Thanks guys, that makes sense to me! I guess what got me thinking was seeing a commercial for a rangefinder and it made it seem like there was 7-10 yards difference. I know about the pythagurem (sp), but I forgot to change yards to feet:eek:

8. takemrarely

takemrarely Elite Refuge Member

I always worried about this too, until this year the boy and I went down to the river where there was a 12' high dike and shot off of it. Difference between flat ground shooting and shooting from the elevated position was negligible.

Your arrow won't drop much in the little bit of difference in length, (like 13" mentioned above).

I have a buddy who is a statistician and we have discussed this several times....the problem with a2*b2=c2 is that your arrow won't fly on a straight line.....there will always be some arc.

Trust your range finder.....