Yardage???

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by hunter0717, Oct 20, 2008.

1. hunter0717

hunter0717 Refuge Member

So I had an oppurtunity to take a shot at a decent 6 pt. the other evening but didnt take the shot due to him being what was about 25 yrds out down in about a 30ft ravine and i being 20 ft in the tree. So heres the question what yardage would you shoot at that deer being 25 yards out but some 50 ft below you? I guessed I would have shot him at what i would a deer 18-20 yrds out but wasnt sure so i let him walk. Any body else ever run into this problem?

2. RETRO

RETRO Elite Refuge Member

25 and aim a lil low and you should center punch it..

3. Dusty05

Dusty05 Senior Refuge Member

I would also try to use the correct yardage pin and hold really low. I am not experienced in that kind of an extreme angle shot. Maybe someone on here can tell us how well the new ARC range finders work. I say good on ya for lettin him walk when you were not sure of the shot.:tu I know that can be hard to do.

4. Double G

Double G Senior Refuge Member

Same shot two seasons ago with my Bushnell range finder telling me 27 yards with almost your same set up. Shot right over her. Picked up a Leupold range finder that tells you angle and true distance to shoot and there was a 7 yard difference. With the new range finder I no longer ask that question! Almost like cheating!

5. jimmyb

jimmyb Refuge Member

Not to hijack your thread but since we're talking about it.....Will a 25 yard shot out of a ground blind be the same shot as a 25 yard shot out of a tree. I've always been under the impression that shooting out of a tree would have less gravity then say a flatter trajectory shot from a ground blind. Therefore a 25 yard shot out of tree would really be closer to a 22 or 23 yard shot. Any thoughts?

6. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

Gravity is a constant. There will be no less gravity in a tree versuses on the ground. The difference is the angle.

7. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

I guess I should respond....I figured this out mathematically.....The short of it is this:

If your bow is sighted in at 20yds, and you are shooting at a target that is horizontally 20yds away, but it is below you by X amount of feet, you should still shoot your 20yd pin. Even though your distance range finder (the one that doesn't include the angle compensator) might say 30 or 35. You should still shoot the 20yd pin. Same goes for shooting uphill.

8. callem'andkillem'

callem'andkillem' Refuge Member

Always remember to bend at the waist when you shooting out of a tree stand, that you don't have to worry about angle and can aim what the actual horizontal range is, not what your angle compensating range finders say.

9. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

Actually, the angle compensating range finders that I have seen give you the correct horizontal distance (on a zero plane) The older range finders give you the actual distance to the object, and don't consider the angle.

10. RETRO

RETRO Elite Refuge Member

I have 3 pins on my bow top is 0-28 yards, middle is sighted in at 35 yards shoots from 30-40 yards,bottom pin sighted in at 45 shoots 40-48 yards..If I have a deer at 25 yards but the angel makes it 20 yards I am gonna shoot it with the top pin..Now at 35 yards by rf the angel will be less there for it won't be a factor..the angel is never a factor and never will be enough factor that you need to run out and buy a rf with the arc..It goes with the scentblocker $$$$$$$$$.Shot it for what a standard rf says..