Yardage???

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by hunter0717, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Double G

Double G Senior Refuge Member

Shot the same exact shot he was talking about using the actual distance reading on my Bushnell and missed high...twice. Shot the exact same shot using the reading on my leupold and it was right on with a 7 yard difference in readings....bending at the waist every time of course...

Spent a half day and took both types of RF out and compared them in many different settings and elevations because I couldn't see how it could make that much of a difference and still had the same results. The Leupold was dead nuts each time. Do they work???? For me they do and take the guessing out of if. If I have a booner stepping out i do not want to be guessing and second guessing my shot placement. Thats just me!

No Scentlock for me either!!!!!!!

2. RETRO

RETRO Elite Refuge Member

if a regular RF say it's 25 yards and you take a arc RF and it says it's 25 but shoot it for 17 yards I am good I put my 20 yard pin on it 0-28 yards I am covered..If it is close up I aim a lil low for the angel..At 35 yards a regular RF , a arc style will say 32 yards theyfor no need to aim any different..All you have to remember is at close shots or step angels is to aim a low to adjust to the angel..

3. Double G

Theres your answer hunter0717...all you had to do is guess a little low!:tu

4. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

Rule of thumb is shoot low if you are shooting downhill, and shoot low if you are shooting uphill.

I do trust the angle RF's....they will give you the correct horizontal distance needed to place your pin properly. If you can't afford one (which is understandable) then you should practice those shots....aiming low.

5. MadMerganser

MadMerganser Moderator Moderator

All the discussion on range finders is good but, set up the same shot, and a lot of different angles, and shoot your bow! Then you KNOW you can make the shot.

6. browndog49768

browndog49768 Elite Refuge Member

I am a math/physics teacher. According to the laws of physics the horizontal distance is all that matters not the distance to the the target. I once had the guidance councelor come in and watch my class while i talked to a parent and then had to tell the kids to forget everything that he had just taught them. Cause he thought because you were farther from the target while being in a tree that you would have to hold high. As for shooting form that can have an affect on your shooting form which would throw the shot off. but the physics of the situation your only concern is the horizontal distance to the target.

7. twospots

twospots Elite Refuge Member

I agree. Shoot every distance youre pins are set for from the ground and from a tree stand. noe 50 feet down is a bit of an oddity, so I have never practiced that, but I also would not take that shot. Hunter 0717 did the right thing not shooting. Good job. Now practice that shot and then you can make it next time!

8. hunter0717

hunter0717 Refuge Member

I agree on practicing the shot would be best, but 50 ft is way up there to practice a shot like that, not sure we have trees that tall that i could use my climber on around here, 5 story building here i come:no

I took this shot though, 15yards out, 17 ft up, double lung :yes:yes
    7 pt., normally would let him walk but he looked like an older deer that needed thinned out, and i was correct, by teeth count we guessed him to be atleast 5
    [​IMG]

9. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

according to the pythagorean equation:

My calculation is that the horizontal distance is 18.6 yards...

Put on 20 pin and hold on lower 2/3 of hair should equal dead deer.

10. Double G

If you have time to determine where the deer will be in a shooting lane, do your calculation, get your bow up, draw, aim (bending at the waist) and shoot accurately then you are a better hunter than most! ;):D