yaupon/tallow control

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Half-Breed, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Half-Breed

Half-Breed Elite Refuge Member

I got some small yaupon problems in my fencerows and around the tree bases, tallow also.

I went down to tractor supply and got me some amine 400 2,4-D.

I have heard to mix this with Eraser to get a broader group of plants.

is this true,

if so,

what mixture?

I have a 25 gallon tank on my 4 wheeler with an electric pump hooked to the battery.

thanks for the help!

2. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Are you trying to take out the trees also?

Any of the auxin herbicides (2,4-D, Banvel, Clarity, Mecroprop, etc...) are going to have negative effects on anything that is not a grass.

Maybe instead go with Glyphosate (Roundup or a generic) with a funnel on the nozzle to permit spot spraying.

3. Half-Breed

Half-Breed Elite Refuge Member

all of the mature trees are from 15" -40" around at the base with no foliage, mostly sweet gum, some oak. I doubt the spray will be enough on the bark to hurt the tree.

its the little sucker treets that I am after!

4. Widgeon Kryptonite

Widgeon Kryptonite Elite Refuge Member

Good luck with the tallow. Repeated burning and spraying is what it is going to take to kill it.

5. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

You can mix the two 50-50 and then use ½ gallon of the mixture to 25 gallons of water.

HOWEVER, neither of these two herbicides are going to be effective on Yaupon or Chinese Tallow.

To kill these two tree species, go back to Tractor Supply and get a gallon of Remedy which runs about a hundred bucks a gallon. Mix the Remedy with 3 gallons of diesel. You can spray the Remedy/diesel mixture on the leaves, however, that gets expensive. All that’s needed is to spray the trunks from the ground up to 18” and make sure all sides of the trucks are covered.

The Remedy/diesel mixture penetrates the bark and kills the tree's cambium layer.

The following is a photo of a Chinese Tallow tree with an 84" trunk circumference. I sprayed it with Remedy 20 months ago and it fell over a couple of weeks ago...

[​IMG]

6. ramsey

ramsey Elite Refuge Member

Arsenal A/C. 16 oz per acre + heavy surfactant.

7. duckhawk-55

duckhawk-55 Sponsor Sponsor

I think you'll find that the most recommended herbicide for tallows is Grazon P&D. Probably need an applicators license to buy. If you want to get real mean with them make a 2,4D cocktail with Grazon P&D. Spray on leaves.