Year in Review

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by pointblind, Dec 9, 2015.

1. trippersrookieyear

trippersrookieyear Elite Refuge Member

Friendship,WI/ A town in ND I've been told not to
    I'll guess 409

Had one of our better trips (opener) and our worst trip(Halloween) to ND this year.

Attached Files:

pointblind likes this.
  2. duckyoda

duckyoda Elite Refuge Member

I am going to guess 294.

I had a decent year. Teal season was one day, for me, and one teal. It should have been more, but I set up poorly, and was too lazy to move. A business trip had me on the east coast, during all but one day of the early teal season...That has to change next year.

The early season was average, and the late season, was stellar. I still have to upload the pictures off my blind bag camera. My assessment of duck numbers were woodies were well above average, as were ringnecks. Mallards were average, Cans slightly above average, and Redheads slightly below average. Sadly, I missed the bluebill flights completely.

In general, this year had many conflicts, mostly work related, that took hunting opportunities to low levels I haven't seen since my kids were young. Hopefully the design cycle on my project is such that I can get more hours in the marsh, next year. Work is highly overrated, and duck hunting is highly underrated.

Duck Yoda of the Big Lake Billy Blasters Assoc.

pointblind likes this.
  3. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

I'd say 415.

I think I pulled the trigger 10 times this season.
    Just got tired of the BS on the water and at the launch over the last few years.

4. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

West central and NW Wi, was slow for me this season(not as bad as last season) but earlier was much better with teal,woodies,ringies and local mallards.I never was able to get a good late season mallard shoot?couple here and there..
    Spent 6 days hunting the Mississippi and had one good shoot on thanksgiving day (pool 9).
    These last 2 seasons were by far my least productive of the last 12 seasons..

5. slimm21

slimm21 Elite Refuge Member

My wife had a baby right in the middle of the season so that slowed things down :l

Teal season was void of teal, first 5-7 days were really good with local ducks. The rest of the season was kind of a dud, although I didn't hunt as much as I usually do. Couple good weather days in November that I was certain would bring success did not produce. Overall, our local marsh has been really poor the past two seasons, I think mostly as a result of it being drained all summer. I goose hunted fields a handful of times --- we did quite well....as a matter of fact they're still producing. I don't especially care to do that, but my dad and his friends do and they're getting up there in age so I figured what the heck and tag along when my schedule permits.

This is the fewest ducks I've shot in the past 10 years but the most geese.

I'd be curious to hear how the Mead was this year. I drove out there a few times during the season and it looked awfully quiet. I was lacking the ambition to look much harder than that. Had heard the numbers were okay before the season, but that can turn bad quick once the season starts --they leave or sit in the refuge.

6. Ratboy

Ratboy Senior Refuge Member

I'll go with 426.

I shot some geese in early and regular season and didn't even duck hunt in WI. First time in 31 years. Went to ND for a week and it was pretty good. Pic of my youngest running out to get one. He carried it all the way back and it started flapping. Scared the crap out of him...

[​IMG]

pointblind likes this.
  7. FAIRCHASE

FAIRCHASE Senior Refuge Member

I had the best early goose season with many limits then things slowed but picked backup and had a really good three weeks before deer season. Been slow since because in my area most fields have been plowed. Did get two limits last weekend with a band. This has been all been on geese mostly because I didn't target ducks much this year. This week I could have shot limits of green heads had the season still been open. Covered up in ducks. My young lab made me so proud with the way she went from a young dog that struggled retrieving geese to a truly finished retriever. No doubt she is the best I've ever have owned.

8. WIQUACKER

WIQUACKER Elite Refuge Member

2015 was a very good season on my end, not my best but nothing to be upset about for sure. Scouted well and found birds, but limited days due to a young son and heavy workload. I'll post a few with images from the year in review. Nice pics guys! I'm guessing 318 in the boat....

2016-1.jpg
    Tucker in the above photo, 4 yo YLM
    2016-2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    pointblind likes this.
  9. WIQUACKER

For some reason it will only allow me to post 2 images per post. Spend a few days every year with this motley crew chasing geese in the Horicon Zone. Fun group.

2016-3.jpg 2016-4.jpg

pointblind likes this.
  10. WIQUACKER

I started to find ways to take better pictures on the hunt too.....

2016-5.jpg 2016-6.jpg

pointblind likes this.