Year in Review

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by pointblind, Dec 9, 2015.

1. WIQUACKER

WIQUACKER Elite Refuge Member

Found a beautiful drake Goldeneye for the wall just before thanksgiving....

2016-7.jpg 2016-8.jpg

pointblind likes this.
  2. WIQUACKER

WIQUACKER Elite Refuge Member

My 9 year old Yellow Lab, had a great hunt and he hates photo's. Just after he navigated ice to retrieve the goldeneye. Sure hope I have a few more years with him to hunt....this was likely his last big water hunt. He's still got a motor, let him finish out his years in cornfields. His 4 yo son will handle the tough hunts from here on out...

2016-9.jpg

City skyline right after being "gifted" this goldeneye. Only divers we saw on the hunt - rest were all mallards.

2016-10.jpg

pointblind likes this.
  3. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Weird year-very weird. Early season goose was average at best. Poor hatches the last few years had the push of molts pretty lean. Only averaged 2 a day which is the lowest in a long time. Early part of duck season was stellar. Teal-wood duck- mallards were outstanding until the 20th of October. The 20th through November 5th was slow but steady. Put in the hours and you would be rewarded but not fast and furious by any means. Starting the 6th of November was the largest concentration of mallards I have ever seen in 35 years of duck hunting. 2 weeks of pure joy. The only problem was almost zero scratch ducks. Gaddies-Widgeon-Pintails- Divers were almost non-existant most days. Once we had our green we packed up and got ready for the next day. Never remember shooting so many limits of mallards but so few full limits. But I would take 4 beaners over 6 of anything else anyday. So all good. The last few weeks have been a matter of grinding it out with long days for the short period they would fly each day(flight times seemed to change daily). Stick and stay and you would get your birds but still all mallards. Over all I would give it a B grade only because of mallard numbers.

Pointblinds picture had me thinking about shells used. I order 2 cases of duck loads before each season. Burned those plus 14 shells- that is within a box of my 10 year average> So over all a good but not outstanding season.

pointblind likes this.
  4. coyote hounder

coyote hounder Senior Refuge Member

image.jpg
    Best hunt if the season. 1st week Wisconsin season. Sorry can't rotate image cause I'm dumb

pointblind likes this.
  5. Billy Jo

Billy Jo Refuge Member

Nice thread, keep them coming

6. Duck 13

Duck 13 Senior Refuge Member

IMG_2617.JPG IMG_2589.JPG Going with 402 hulls. Had a good year filled with great memories hunting with my dog for her last season.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    pointblind likes this.
  7. Duck 13

Duck 13 Senior Refuge Member

Afew more pics FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_2194.JPG

pointblind likes this.
  8. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

Early season geese image.jpeg

9. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

Last week mallard shoot with some forum members. image.jpeg