Yellow fat

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Karen, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Karen

Karen Senior Refuge Member

Anyone know why a Whitetail deer (doe) would have EXTREMELY yellow fat? I am used to whitish fat, but the fat on one of the does I shot last Friday was as yellow as a highlighter pen. All the fat was that color too.

Thanks

2. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Elite Refuge Member

too many red oaks maybey :confused:

3. ghak99

ghak99 Elite Refuge Member

Was she an old doe???

I know as cattle get older the fat will turn more and more yellow.

4. sprigkiller09

sprigkiller09 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

i think some of the fat color has to do with what they eat. Like if she was eating somthing with corn or somthing else. I know i have shot mallards that one duck will have snow white fat and the other will have yellow.

5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

sprigkiller,

I was duck hunting up in the Klamath basin this year and one local guy said the ducks up there that eat a lot of wheat have more yellow fat and the ducks down in the central valley have more whitish fat from eating rice. He said that the yellow fat fat birds taste better.
    I guess there is usualy some regional bias as the valley boys say the rice fed ducks are the best.
    I do know that friends that go to Alberta and shoot snows that have fed heavily on wheat say they taste much better than the snows that have migrated down into the central valley.

Concerning fat on a deer, I think regardless of color it is a good thing.
    The best tasting deer I have had, had a nice fat layer.

6. Karen

Haven't gotten her aged yet, but she was no spring chicken based on size. I have shot several 9 year olds and a 25 (yup twenty five...known aged deer) year old doe and their fat was the regular whitish color. So far, I have shot 4 does form this herd this year and other than this one they have been typical!

7. Captain "T"

Captain "T" Senior Refuge Member

A 25yr old deer?:eek: I bet that was a bit of a shocker when you got that info back. Did you feel sorry for her when she came out in the open with a walker or did you think you were doing her a favor? :nutz Just jokin' around. I've never seen yellow fat on a deer, be sure to let us know if you find out anything.

Happy Hunting,
    T

8. Karen

Actually I did feel about two inches tall. I had bottle raised her the first year I was at work. We released her into the wild when she was about 2 years old. Thought I had her patterned. She "never" went north of this particular spot I was sitting at! Oops. She had triplets for at least 17 years.

9. Captain "T"

Captain "T" Senior Refuge Member

Dang, Now I feel bad. Once again, my attempt at humor gives me that funny taste of "foot" in my mouth.