Yellow-nut sedge dig outs

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Clayton, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

The lake here is one of several TVA lakes in the area. The lake level begins to be drawn down in early July through December. If they actually keep it on schedule there can be excellent production of moist soil foods especially yellow-nut sedge at the higher elevations. This years production of YNS tubers was fair to good. Recently rainfall bumped the lake level up flooding the YNS for a week and the ducks responded quickly making the water brown with mud from their digging. Now that the water has dropped back out again one can see the holes dug out which range from small dimples to 1 - 3 foot wide 6" deep holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kylakehammertime

kylakehammertime Senior Refuge Member

Cool stuff Clayton. I never knew those were from ducks. I love the draw down in the winter . I find shell cracker hot spots for the spring that way . Love finding big circles in that pea gravel. Those get marked in the GPS quickly.

3. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

I wish they drew down just the opposite. Drop the lake about a foot in summer and bring it back up in the winter.

Clayton, do you guys get the SAV production down on the south end of the lake still or has the water been too turbid to get it going good again?

4. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Yes we do. I thought there would be none this year after all of the rain and floods we had. We ended up with a decent amount in this area and northward several miles. Hydrilla seems to be replacing milfoil and appears to be much more tolerant of low light conditions. It didn't last long this year as the low lake levels in November and early freezing temperatures have pretty much wiped it out.