Yellow-nut Sedge Release

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Clayton, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Sprayed 8 areas with aquatically labeled Roundup for yellow-nut sedge release combined with woody vegetation control. About half produced fair to good stands of yellow-nut sedge with this one being the best. The other areas produced very little nut sedge. Hard to know if the lack of release was due to a lack of seed/tuber source there or too dry at that location. We had just started into a dry cycle at the time of spraying. Quality release depends on good moisture.

All of the green vegetation is yellow-nut sedge.
    [​IMG]

2. StrmChzr

StrmChzr Senior Refuge Member

Clayton - when do you spray your Moist Soil Vegetation to promote nutsedge? I have a moist soil marsh that I try to do an early drawdown to promote giant and nodding smartweed, my favorite "duck grub". Seems like the years we get a lot of moisture after drawdown, is when I have an influx of barnyard grass and yellow nutsedge... Some years are better than others, so maybe that's a function of moisture as you suggested..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Clayton

You very lucky to get large natural stands like that. It is spotty here unless an area is sprayed to release it. With all spraying for release, the sooner the better. Real early release spraying may require a follow up as other plants have a chance to compete against it later on. Yellow-nut sedge is very shade intolerant. I am lucky if I can get an area sprayed by mid-July. If I had my choice I would aim more for mid-June.
    Yellow-nut sedge plants that produce seed don't produce the tubers, which is what the duck really want. I guess it can't invest energy into doing both. As to why it does one vs the other I don't have a clue.

4. StrmChzr

Call those pics what they are: dumb luck.... It was an awesome stand of yellow nutsedge that year and surprisingly was my first or second year of playing manager.... actually it's not totally outrageous as we've replicated that nutsedge stand a few time since as nutsedge in my neck of the woods is one of the top 3 "weeds" farmers fight successfully w/ Glyphosate spraying.

Didn't know yellow nutsedge produced seed and certainly didn't realize it was one OR other (i.e. seed vs tubers) for reproduction methods... I'll have to do some more investigation into that one! Definitely want the tuber for "chufa" style duck food.. Thanks for the insight!

5. Clayton

Glyphosate normally releases yellow-nut sedge, which is of course why farmers hate it. 2,4-D and YNS don't get along though!

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Clayton, I was under the impression that 2, 4-D was for broadleafs only and safe to use on "grasses". Where am I confused?

7. Clayton

Yellow-nut sedge is a sedge not a grass. It does make a difference when using 2,4-D. I have released sedges with 2,4-d but they were not present prior to spraying.

8. Clayton

Unfortunately the YNS released from this years spraying will barely return next year unless sprayed again to remove the competition.

9. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Got ya, thanks. Thought it took on grass characteristics and would not be susceptible.

10. StrmChzr

Meant unsuccessfully in my previous post....typoz my bad!

Clayton likes this.