Yellow Nutsedge - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by MAJ MALFUNCTION, Aug 24, 2012.

1. MAJ MALFUNCTION

MAJ MALFUNCTION Senior Refuge Member

We planted about 500lbs of chufa this year (our first time), but I guess we've also got some Yellow Nutsedge coming up "wild" in one corner of our marsh.

I did a Google search on the Yellow Nutsedge and also searched this sub-forum to try and figure out wether this plant is a good waterfowl food source (the tubers) or not.

Everything I found was about 50/50 as to wether it's a good food source or wether we should nuke it. What recommendations would any of y'all make (who have experience with this stuff).

Is Yellow Nutsedge really just a "wild" variety of Chufa?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

Ha ha. Same exact species. Don't nuke it. That being said, all varieties of corn are the same species, and certainly some of those are more productive, hardy, and attractive to people or wildlife than others.

The rumor is that some seed companies are offering highly bred chufa that produce tons of nuts. My experience hasn't borne out that this means a hill of beans when you pull up one of those expensive plants and a wild plant right next to each other - but maybe in the right growing conditions....it might make all the difference in the world.

This late in the season, personally, I'd let it ride, and check the nuts once the upper plants die back. See if you are getting bigger....erm....nuts....on the specialty chufa vs. the wild. If so (or not), plan accordingly for next spring...

3. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Good or Bad? More like excellent!:tu

4. bluegoose_hunter1

bluegoose_hunter1 Senior Refuge Member

Leave it be. chufa = yellow nutsedge = yellow nutgrass. Its all the same duck food by different names.

5. Clayton

Yellow-nut sedge tubers in a mallard and a 2 Canada geese I harvested.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A good batch of tubers from plants growing under excellent conditions.
    [​IMG]

6. wo_allvol

wo_allvol Refuge Member

Once the water comes up will it kill it off or will it keep going. I have nutsedge growing in our plot and was wondering what it would do once flood it. We didn't plant our plot this year due to funds and busy schedules and the nutsedge took over so I'm guessing it's a blessing from the man upstairs. Comments appreciated

7. Clayton

No I would not recommend flooding it yet. It produces tubers great in wet soil but flat out flooding can kill it.