Yep, more millet questions

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by gimp, Jun 15, 2007.

1. gimp

gimp Senior Refuge Member

Can someone give me some advice on how to work the ground for planting? Best way to plant? How long to wait until flooding? We planted some last year and it didn't come very well at all.

2. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

We just broadcast it on wet mud. The stuff that hit the water floated around untill it found mud. We did this the weekend of July 4th and it was ready by Sept 1st or so. We are going to wait untill about the 3rd week in July to plant this year. I am at the understanding that it will grow in water as long as the water does not go over the top of it.

3. UNCDUCKMAN

UNCDUCKMAN Elite Refuge Member

Millit burns out quick so it is best to plant in late Aug here so that it lasts till the season. Once it makes a head you can flood it as long as the head stays above water.

As far as working the ground. We disk, plant, fertilize, and disk again

4. gimp

So if I have a spot that I can leave flooded all summer, would it be best to drain it right before planting? Do I even need to work the soil if I spread it right on that freshly drained soil?

5. Doemsomedamage

Doemsomedamage Elite Refuge Member

nothin as easy as growing jap millet. just broadcast it with your hand on the mud, dirt, water or anything and it'll grow. The stuff grew on old wet socks in the bed of my truck. it dosen't get any easier to achieve good results.

Yes. broadcast it on the wet soil after you drain, no need to work the ground.

6. gimp

I appreciate the help.

7. MARSH_HUNTR

MARSH_HUNTR Elite Refuge Member

plant it around middle or late august here, you honestly don't have to do crap...just broadcast it either by hand or using a broadcaster, that stuff will grow on a rock:l