Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Yes, it's the law there but....

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by zettler, Jun 3, 2015.

1. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Skippy, who gets to decide who is on the PA Game Commission? Biologists, sportsman, or bureacrats?

Instead if putting bull **** limits on overpopulated snow geese, the PA Game Commission should direct their efforts toward habitat restoration for the PA quail population that is headed toward endangered species status in that state.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

How does putting a limit on snows in any way effect there ability to work oh habit restoration?:scratch hell it could help with windfalls like this. PA is in no way the only place there is or has been a limit in the spring season.

3. theduckguru

So in your world game over restrictive laws are a way to raise revenue from violators?

4. Dean Nelson

Not sure what world you live in but ghats the case and the point of all fines levied against criminal activity!

In your world they should be paid I guess? It doesn't take much to see where you stand....anyone who feels the need to refer themselve as the Guru and to post their band total pretty much says it all.

They were over the set limit and one of them didn't even have a license! They chose their path so I'm not going to feel sorry for them. So if a group of guys goes out this fall and shoots twice their limit its OK I guess! Just because you don't agree with a law doesn't mean you don't have to pay the price if you break it!

5. theduckguru

No where in my comments have I said you should not be prosecuted for breaking the law. Re-read post 8.

What I have said is the PA law is totally without any game management or public safety benefit. That is the purpose of wildlife laws.

You might want to take the time to read about snow goose populations, the stated population objectives, and the effect of liberalized regulations on snow goose populations.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  6. Dean Nelson

OK I will go read up on snows! Guess my years of chasing them from Canada south and back again and reading anything I can find on them isn't enough to get a working knowledge of them! Oh and how was the snow goose season last year in Ohio?:doh

7. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

When you shoot 2 Snow/Ross (Both reward bands) Then you will be as knowledgeable as the "guru" on the subject :dv:flame

8. theduckguru

Dean, let me help you out here buddy. The stated greater snow goose population objective set by the Atlantic Flyway is 500,000-750,000 birds. The current population is 800,000-900,000 depending on annual nesting success. The population is 150,000 to 250,000 birds greater than the levels the biologist believe are ideal for a healthy populaton.

9. Dean Nelson

Damn and all of mine are just plane bands...never won the drawing on the rewards! I shot a collard/banded deer once think that will be enough to make up for my short comings on the snow band front?:dv

Guru, let me help you out here buddy. The limit on snows is at a set level and they went over it and got nailed....the end! My state is a couple hundred thousand over on our Canada goose population so by your logic I should be allowed to shoot as many as I want huh!:rolleyes:

10. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

Allowing limits to be unlimited when the limit is already 25 will not increase harvest enough to have any impacts on populations. Nor do limits at 25 actually restrict harvest. Most hunters do not reach the limit, and there wouldnt be enough people killing over 25.

However, setting limits is often a good thing in the eyes of non-hunters and antis as it limits the perception of waste. Often that's why limits are set even on populations that are over goal.