Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Yikes, duck hunting in the USA seems pretty scary...

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by northerner, Aug 11, 2011.

1. northerner

northerner Senior Refuge Member

Whoa, check out this thread in the main forum...are there that many folks in the USA carrying concealed weapons? The more I read, the more I realize how naive I am when I walk around nonchalantly in the US like I'm home in Canada...without a handgun.

I wonder how many of these guys 'forget' to leave the handguns at home when they cross the border to come north?

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=863101

2. goosehunter64

goosehunter64 Elite Refuge Member

It's not like that at all...

3. DocRay

DocRay Elite Refuge Member

It's terrible down here. Especially if you have out of state plates on your truck. :)

4. goosehunter64

goosehunter64 Elite Refuge Member

That's only if you are from IA...lmao:reader :yes:dv

5. DocRay

DocRay Elite Refuge Member

Hey, you Illini up here near the IA/IL border kill the approximately ten ducks we have in Iowa during the season every year. We've gotta go somewhere to hunt! :)

6. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

Yep it is scary. Last year was talking to guy as he was putting in his kayak for an afternoon hunt. He was carring a shotgun , a 9mm in a holster, and a 357 in the bottom of the kayak. I asked him why all the firepower. He said he needed it just in case someone tried to mess with him. Really you got a shotgun dummy. Saw him a week later across the lake, he shot at a crippled goose 18 times on the water before he killed it. There are some real nut cases down here.

7. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Glad I live in Manitoba, just went out scouting tonight and from I saw there will be no shortages of hunting spots this year.

8. Overkill67

Overkill67 Elite Refuge Member

That thread does make it look bad, because of a few trolls. I carry, because I can and because you never know. I won't leave it in the truck when I do because most of the ramps are real rural.....rural enough not to be patrolled by LEO's and rural enough to be trolled by scum bags who know they can usually get some cool stuff to pawn or sell at flea markets and craigslist for a few bucks.

Out of 3 that have gotten busted at 1 time 2 were carrying we armed with stolen handguns and the third had a tazer.

9. FullandFuller

FullandFuller Elite Refuge Member

I didn't read that thread...but yeah there are some idiots here (I recall a video of some CANADIAN boys plinking grebes btw). One time a buddy of a buddy came along on a goose hunt and a nice red fox had been nearby and took off running, stopping about 200 yards away. This guy ran back to the truck to get his scoped .44 mag revolver. He wanted to shoot that fox so bad that I actually had to yell at him to put bleeping gun back in the truck. The landowner's house was in that direction, another 100 yards, just over the horizon, and that landowner does not allow any rifle hunting.

That guy was supposedly a goose competition caller and a goose guide in the midwest. For me it was a turn off towards any people involved in making money off of wild game. He was so desperate to shoot that fox so he could brag about it to someone, he had no care for where that bullet would go. He actually said "That bullet won't go anywhere, I won't miss". 200 yards with a revolver:doh.

EDIT I just read some of that other post...if I lived some of those places down towards the border, I'd carry.