Yo....EMan, that was very Cruel

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by SkyCarp, Apr 19, 2002.

1. SkyCarp

SkyCarp Senior Refuge Member

You cant just brag about knocking down Sage Grouse and not take your adopted Forum family there too !!!!

I think that I can speak for everyone here, that we will give you forgivness if you take us Grouse hunting in September.

Now go think about what you have done and 50 Our Father's & 30 Hail Mary's
    ;)

2. If you guys are really wanting to go Sage Grouse hunting you really should look at taking a weekend trip to Wyoming. I grew up in Rock Springs and hunted Sage Grouse all of the time. Take a weekend trip to the Farson area and hunt the Seedskadee wildlife refuge. If you walk the miles you will find some birds.

3. EMan

EMan Senior Refuge Member

MM is right about that. I have a buddy that goes hunting North of Torrington every year for Sharptails and Sage Grouse. The at least Wyoming has more then a couple week season.

Back to my spot. Here's a pretty cool story.

A group of us arrived in Walden on a Friday night to hunt the next morning. I decided to stop at the DOW sub-Office there in town. The lady in the office told me that there just is no birds, that year. She was in charge of driving the Biologist around that spring, and they found very few birds. She also stated that we should just head up into the hills and go after Blue Grouse.

We decided to stay and give the Sage Grouse a chance. We didn't even get to our Honey Hole that morning when we spotted a large flock of more then 20 run across the dirt road. Since we were on BLM land we stopped and made a swing around the Sage Brush choked gully where the birds had disappeared. 20 minutes later we were driving back to town with 5 - 2 bird limits. The next day was even better. The smallest flock we jumped was about 15 birds.

4. roninrus1

roninrus1 Senior Refuge Member

Just Curious - what does a non-res license cost in WY.?:D

5. RETREVR

RETREVR Senior Refuge Member

If you ever get up as far as Lander there is a place you have to have dinner. Actually I think it is in Hudson. It is called Svillar's and it is the best steak house I have ever been to.
    We took a fishing trip up in the Wind River Range last summer. We ate there the night we packed out.
    Our tab was over $200 bucks but what a bargain. We went to pay for it and they said they didn't accept credit cards. No biggy, we had enough cash. They told us that they would just send us the bill in the mail. We wrote down our address (it was a Kansas address) and they sent a bill the next month.
    We also had them send a duplicate to an old Kansas farmer who usually takes the trip but missed it that year. He blew his top when he got a $250 tab from Svillar's. Not so much because of the money, but because he relized that he had missed a great meal.

6. roninrus1

roninrus1 Senior Refuge Member

$30 for a couple of days or $50 for an annual. Not bad - if season doesn't interfere with CO hunting it might be worth a trip!:D