Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

yorkton noth

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by blackthunder, Aug 8, 2013.

1. blackthunder

blackthunder Senior Refuge Member

Hoping to get an ideas of water and crop conditions. Was up in that area last year. And there was more canola than ever. Can I expect any chages this year? Called. Up where we stay sounds like more water than usual. Can send a pm if you prefer thanks for your help. Good luck to everyone.

2. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Not really sure of that area, but from what I've heard Canola prices have taken a hit. In the areas I have scouted in Manitoba there are a lot more grain fields this year, barley especially.

3. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

I was talking to my contact the other nite and he was saying though wet and cold, the crops are :tu:tu with lots of grain!

Doug

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

The weather has been unseasonably cold , with 20+ days of cooler than average temps, and lots of rain. Harvest is pushed back in a lot of areas. Lots of water everywhere, to the point of too many places for birds to go. Good local production.

Nearly every farmer I know rotates his crops. Running the same crop, especially canola , is risking disease. Recommendations are to rotate 3 crops through the field, but most farmers will go to 2, usually wheat and canola. Some will plant legumes to fixate nitrogen, or try specialty crops like malting barley. With new strains of corn and soybeans, we are seeing more and more creep up in the north.

You will still see lots of yellow, however, if it is a really wet year, I have killed more ducks in a wet canola field than you would ever believe. If it is windy and wet, the seed pods open and you will get fresh bright green canola growing, which is duck candy. I've seen mallards fly over a swath barley field to get to a wet, partially flooded canola field. It has to be wet , however, or they have a problem landing in it , and may go to other fields instead.

5. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

This might help:

http://www.agriculture.gov.sk.ca/crprpt130815

Cousins reporting rain in Yorkton area but been haying for awhile. 10 days to 2 weeks behind per report but things are rounding into shape. Praying for sunshine. Everyone agrees that if there is a wetspot it has ducks on it.

Tom B.