Yote calling question

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by HeadHunter, Jan 12, 2011.

1. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Senior Refuge Member

I'm new to calliing and hunting yotes. I've experienced limited success this year bagging 4 yotes on 8 trips. So, any tips are appreciated as I am learning by trial and error. I've shot 2 at 20 yards, 1 at 60, and 1 at 90 yards from where I was set up. Ok, here goes for the questions:

After shooting a yote, do you leave the area? Or if you stay around how long should you wait until you call again? How long to wait in an area before declairing it to be 'no one home.'?

How often to you return to an area that you have already hunted and/or harvested a yote? (I'm concerned about educating them to the call)

How large is a yote's general range? 2 mi? 4 mi?

Thanks for the response and any tips.
    Mark

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

After shooting, immediately hit the Kiyi call, you can use this call on and off for 10-15 minutes sounding like a hurt dog. You may just find another coyote wandering in wondering what happened.
    I called one in after a shot with a double rabbit in distress just recently here.
    It is worth a try, you don't need to stick around for another 30 minutes, but, it is definitely possible to call yotes in after a shot.

The other two answers are probably best answered by your local DNR, as location and numbers of coyotes play heavily on the answer.

But, if you go back and call the same spot, setting up in a different part of that property is always wise and will help, be it the next day, or two weeks later.

Good luck, and 4 dogs on 8 trips ain't half bad:tu

3. CutEmAll-Boyz

CutEmAll-Boyz Senior Refuge Member

Thinkin the same thing...Wish I had those odds all season!

4. riverrat09

riverrat09 Senior Refuge Member

Wish my success rates were that good.:cry

5. Leaky-NY

Leaky-NY Elite Refuge Member

HH are you using a cover scent. Went I was stationed in OK I use to them regular. I found If I hunted a certain area often I had to change my cover scent. Watched a couple of times they would come in at a distance and start scent searching. I would wait a couple of weeks then go back using a different cover and they would come some closer. It came be fun or fustrating in hunting the yotes. Good Luck:tu

Leaky

6. HeadHunter

Good tips. Thanks guys. Not using any scent cover. I try to get my back to a big ole evergreen or large locus tree to my back. Hoping the evergreen will break up my outline and the scent.

Since the earlier post I went on 4 additional trips. Sunked the first time out. One the second. Sunked the third. But got a double on the last time out!!! Really gettign ate up with this.

I keep getting busted by them wherein they see me and bolt before I can get off a shot. Like on my double. I had 3 bust me before I got the last two. With the set up's I keep thinking I can see them coming from hundreds of yards off but suddenly, bamo, there they are on top of me. Need to start calling them ghost.

7. takemrarely

takemrarely Elite Refuge Member

Where are you hunting....coyoteville? You see a ton of dogs....good for you:tu

8. HeadHunter

I'm hunting several private ground spots that pretty well have the same things in common. They are adjacent to a no-hunting state park with lots of deer and the private ground has cattle, sheep, or chickens. The yotes are plentiful and looking for easy meals, e.g. cow after birth. Hardly farmer turns me down when I ask to hunt yotes. Never knew it could be this much fun.

9. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Go to predatoruniversity.com and order "so you want to be a predator caller"

It is a 2 dvd set on choosing stands, scouting, locating, wind, set up etc...

Worth the money, well worth it, even for advanced yote hunters.

10. str8shooter461

str8shooter461 New Member

Calling I like to use 4's as a guide. 40 seconds calling, 4 min. between,24 minutes per stand and four days rest before calling an unproductive spot. If you don't use a foxpro with a timer I would invest in a stop watch. Time is hard to estimate when your half frozen. 4 for 8 not bad at all.