Yote came in, but was unable to get a shot off!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by huntin14, Jun 22, 2009.

1. huntin14

huntin14 Senior Refuge Member

Got a question for you more experienced Yote hunters. As mentioned in the title I had a yote finally come in and could not get a shot off. A few more details...

Using a Fox Pro FX3 caller, started off with wounded jack rabbit with no response. Then onto a yote pup distress. Moved about another 500 yards. Went with a locator call. Got an answer that was maybe 1/2 mile away, but could not close the gap due to property lines. Used the challenge howl and about 10 minutes later there is a yote moving across the field from left to right about 75 yards out. Not wanting him to get downwind of me, for lack of a better word I made a kissing sound and yote stops. Look in the scope 3X Leopold and with the high grass and low light I could not get a head shot and would have been guessing as to where the body would have been. The yote did not stand still that long. Took off and I hit the yote pup distress again and the yote was going crazy at the tree line about 100 yds away. went back and forth down the tree line a few times before I lost movement. again it was too dark to find the yote in the scope at this point.

After all that I simply wish I would have fired since I educated that yote anyway. My question is, how long would I need to wait before I could get that yote to come in again?

Any feedback is appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

You may never see that yote again ! then again in a couple weeks you could go back and try !

3. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

Skiebuster is probably right. Could depend on if he winded you or not too. Id wait a while and try again with a different sound. Something like a fawn distress or woodpecker.