Yote Gun question

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by buckwrapperjr, Oct 22, 2007.

1. buckwrapperjr

buckwrapperjr Elite Refuge Member

Do you guys think a 17HMR is enough of a gun for a body shot on Yote ( I want him to fall down not run ) or should I go with the 223 ? I'm looking to buy a Savage either way with the Accu Trigger :confused:

2. DrakeKY

DrakeKY Elite Refuge Member

You should go with the .223 NO QUESTION.. Even with the .223 they can run a bit. I would say 99/100 will run off with a body shot from a .17hmr. I have one of those too. I also hunt with a .204 and it usually is bang flop on the yotes. But the .223 is a hard round to beat for varmints. Good luck with your choice but I would say that savage in the .223 would for sure be your ticket.. Will shoot nicely too. :tu

3. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

I just got the Savage Predator in .223. Amazing!

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Read this months NRA Magazine (American Rifleman). There is an article in there on one of the .17 calibers. Don't remember which one, but the author admits he was wrong about the .17 not being enough for yotes.

5. DrakeKY

DrakeKY Elite Refuge Member

The .17hmr is enough for yotes but will not put them down in their tracks with a body shot. Now the .17 remington, which is centerfire, is a different story, but the .17HMR will take a yote but not how was described above in wanting to take one.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

The more I think about it, I think it was the .17 Remington. Sorry for the confusion, I am not up on all this .17 cal stuff. WMR, HMR, whatever. Chalk this one up to me being stupid.

7. quackstopper

quackstopper Senior Refuge Member

It all boils down to picking your shots. If you want to wait for every shot to be a broadside standing shot inside 80 yrds, you would probably be just fine with the .17 HMR. If you go that route, your going to watch a lot of yotes walk away (or more likely run) because they didn't offer that "perfect" shot. In my experience, I don't know a lot of hunters who have the self dicipline to follow that routine for very long. If you want to be able to put the animal considering the average shot instead of the perfect shot, you need more energy than a .17 will offer. My thoughts are, my hunting time is valuable, I'm not independantly wealthy and hunting time is time away from work and away from family (usually) so I want to make the most of it. Why limit yourself by choosing an inadequate weapon. .223 or 22-250 is what will be in my gun, unless I'm hunting in an area that has bears or cougars and I have a tag, in which case I hunt with the 7mm.

8. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

Pretty solid advice in these posts...... Go with the .223.

9. buckwrapperjr

buckwrapperjr Elite Refuge Member

10. eye2sky

eye2sky Senior Refuge Member

Would a 20ga. shootgun with turkey choke and 3in. #6's work?