Yotes?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Scaupstopper, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Scaupstopper

Scaupstopper Senior Refuge Member

Everyone here has peeked my interest in shooting yotes.

How do I go about it. Some basics would be nice.

Do I bait? How do you call them? Is there any instructional videos? Is there any good tapes and calls? I am interested in hand or mouth calling. I am also looking to do it at dusk or early am, not at night (For now anyways)

What is the basic process and setup?

Is my .22-250 enough gun?

Thanks for all the help.

2. Mike Rathnow

Mike Rathnow Senior Refuge Member

So are the 223's. Your choice of gun will not disappoint you at all. As for videos go to www.allpredatorcalls.com They have quite a few videos, and calls to get you going. Some of the good videos are Calling Coyotes by Randy Anderson. The Verminators Predator Or Prey by Randy Anderson and Rick Paillet. The list goes on and on.

3. ansas

ansas Elite Refuge Member

There are some videos/DVD's that are good instruction:

Randy Anderson Calling all Coyotes & The Truth about Calling all Coyotes (The last done in conjunction with Primos. Primos offers "Randy Anderson Signature Calls" - mouth operated predator calls - and they are excellent. These each (three or four of them) come with a mini-CD of instructions.)

Byron South Coming to the Call & Coming to the Call II These are very informative as are Anderson's . Byron and his friends use almost exclusively AR type rifles. It is interesting that there is a shooting segment in II where a guy shoots full auto at a coyote sized target at 100 yards or less and every shot of two or three bursts is a clean miss. So much for full auto.............sic!

.22-250 is plenty of gun for coyotes. .17cal, 222 and/or .223 may be better choices because the gun doesn't jump under recoil and you can see where you hit without a spotter. You could add a brake to the .22-250 to make it managable is this reguard, and the same is true of the 220 Swift and the "improved" .22 cal center fires.:tu

4. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

:confused: :confused:

Inside 300 you can always see where you hit---it is laying right there...

5. Mike Rathnow

Mike Rathnow Senior Refuge Member

6. lwingwatcher

The shooter was prolly never in the military or just a lousy shot to begin with. I used to really look forward to the steel targets on springs---the object was to keep them bent over backwards on full auto with shot control. And that is in the days of before 3 shot burst capability...

Even on full auto, the first shot should have hit the target.... :rolleyes:

7. HuntAllDay

HuntAllDay Senior Refuge Member

There is definitely more recoil to a 22-250 than a .22!! IT is not a huge recoil or even one that you are going to feel much but if you put a prarie dog in your scope with the power turned up you are not going to see where you hit!

I had to put a muzzle break and weighted stock on my gun so that I could spot my own shots at 18x.

8. lwingwatcher

Recoil is relative.....I kinda doubt that Scaupstopper is gonna be cranking his optics up to 18X much in Ohio....maybe but it still won't be like western conditions.

A .22-250 is tough to beat for yote gunning with a bolt gun.

9. Scaupstopper

Scaupstopper Senior Refuge Member

Well... I am looking forward to my first Yote hunt this weekend. I am not expecting much in results, but I got a couple of calls. I got the ki-yi and its mini CD and a howler from Lowman. I tried the howler inside the truck on the way home last night.

I am still having trouble hearing and my passenger wont talk to me.

I tried to get some videos, but they didnt have any, so I will order some off of the website suggested above.

I am excited, but not optomistic. Especially since I cant find the scope I want anywhere around here. I am only going 4x12. I have some more scope questions but am going to start a new thread so they will be noticed.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the help.

10. lwingwatcher

I gotta believe that will work just fine for yotes in your neck of the woods. I betcha you will only run on 4 or 5 power anyway until specific circumstances require that you dial it up a bit.

Keep track, and see how many times you even need to go all the way to 12 power. Maybe then you will no longer feel that you just made do with the 4 x 12.

Good luck and have fun
    :tu