You fox rifle of choice

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Alaska Dave, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Alaska Dave

Alaska Dave Elite Refuge Member

Foothills of S.E. Wi. and watching those ducks in
    What caliber rifle is your favorite? I've been using a 22 mag but still thinking about the 17 Remington. How many of you use the 22 Hornet, 221 Fireball,204 Ruger, etc... I'm really just trying to justify a new rifle and caliber.

2. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

My son and I have two AR's and he has a .25-06 and I have a .22-250.
    He has a .22 mag but that is just for night calling (no centerfire at night in Michigan)

3. huntingike

huntingike Refuge Member

As far as pelt damage, I prefer a .22 mag or a 17 hmr. I have skinned a couple red foxes taken with a 17 rem and it was quite nasty .

4. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

As far as the .204 Ruger .32 -.40 grainers hard on Fox fur the .45 grainers might be more fur friendly. The .22 mag & .17 HMR can get the job done with well placed shots

5. Alaska Dave

Alaska Dave Elite Refuge Member

Foothills of S.E. Wi. and watching those ducks in
    Don't you think that the 22-250 and 25-06 are a little hard on a fox? I use a 22-250 or the 243 on yotes but they're pretty hard on the fox. I have no place to reload unless I do it outside so am trying to stick with factory ammo thats why the choices look like #1. 17 Rem #2. 221 Fireball #3. 204 Ruger #4. 22 Hornet

6. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

They are indeed a little rough on them, even with V-Max bullets.

But, if we are using our bolt guns instead of the AR's...we fling what we bring. Even the .223 V-Max can do more than you want it to at times but...what are ya gonna do?

We don't hunt with just fox guns....although I have used just a .22 before and had to keep stinging him to keep him down. I guess that ones final decision would be based in part upon anticipated range. I really don't like just looking at them and waving which even happens at times coyote hunting.

The dang things sit down, look over their shoulder at the dogs and then wait until you can't shoot at them for the dogs before they high tail it in another direction...often times where ya don't have decent shooting either. The life and times of running predators in wide open farmland.

Tomorrow though...weather permitting...we are off to the woods for some hopefully tighter circling song dogs and that hunt will require we take along the scatterguns just in case.

7. MallardAddict

MallardAddict Elite Refuge Member

Never shot a fox but plenty of coyotes and no problem with the 60 gr speers and handloads clean .22 cal hole in and out, same same wih my ar15 and 55 gr fmjs just do nto hit a shoulder

8. jbdnew

jbdnew Senior Refuge Member

The 22 mag is hard to beat under 100yds, I shot one with a 22-250 at over 200yds and it was not pretty.

9. duckpoop

duckpoop Senior Refuge Member

221 out of an EABCO model 97b falling block:D

10. PJ3

PJ3 Refuge Member

I have shot fox with everything from a .308, 223, 22-250, 17HMR, 204, 30-06 (darn mangy fox), 22Mag, 22LR, and without a doubt the 17Rem is my choice. Killer round, flat shooting, low pelt damage.