You guys gotta try this!

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by dallen, Jan 6, 2006.

1. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

My new favorite way to cook ducks. Got this from a friend, who got it from his grand dad. A little different but it turns out fantastic. I get tired of the old bacon toothpick thing..... this one will make you think twice about turning duck into sausage.

Ingredients:
    Baking soda - 1tbsp
    shortening - 1/2 cup
    salt 1/2 tsp
    pepper - 1/4 tsp
    flour - 1/2 cup
    water 1 cup
    red cabbage - 1 - chopped
    vinegar - 1/2 cup
    sugar - 2 tbsp

Rub duck breasts (about 4-6 ducks depending on size)with baking soda and rinse off.
    Cut into serving pieces (cube), melt shortening in pan. Coat duck pieces with salt, pepper, and flour mix.
    Brown pieces. After browned, add 1/2 cup of water, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
    After hour, lift out duck and put in cabbage. Place duck and drippings back over cabbage, pour sugar,water,vinegar mix over duck. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
    Pull ducka nd cabbage out of pan and place on platter. Render drippings in pan tinto a thick glazing (gravy) and poor over duck/cabbage on platter.

EAT. If you did it right, the duck just falls apart. Not hard to make, just takes a little time. Try it, you'll love it.:eek: :grvn :z

2. PorkChop

PorkChop Senior Refuge Member

I have some nice ND corn fed greenheads I am going to have to try that on this week.

3. northern wings

northern wings Elite Refuge Member

Wow sounds great!
    I'm going to have to try that one....what kind of duck did you use?
    Thanks for the recipe Dave:tu

I usually cube up a couple duck breasts after they have been soaking in teriaki/ spice mar. for a day or so, brown them in a pan with a half a sweet onion and eat em that way. Always good to hear another way to try and fix it.
    By the way R.A. Coleman...has your wife smoked up more Bluebill? yummy that was a treat in the duck blind!

-northern wings

4. dallen

I have tried it on some early seasons ducks, some geese and just recently, the corn fed mallards from WA. I think ducks work best. Try it, you'll love this.

5. Rick618

Rick618 Elite Refuge Member

6. MRDuxs

MRDuxs New Member

Sounds really good!! One Question...when you say "Red Cabbage" is it that sweet/sour red cabbage in a jar or just fresh red cabbage?

7. dallen

Its the fresh red cabbage.

8. Rick618

I put some together this evening and the alterations that I made were that I marinated the duck chunks in some tequila/lime and added a sweet onion and some mushrooms to the cabbage mix.
    I save that small tenderloin part under the breast and use that as my chef sample during the cooking and I was tempted to just eat the duck fried after going through a few of those. A couple of teal breasts were disposed of in that manner as well. Girl friend was a bit sceptical about the cabbage but seemed to be a believer when she hit her second helping.
    I used mallards, teal, and ringnecks for what that's worth.

The only thing I had a problem with was keeping the batter on the chunks, I think I will add a milk/egg wash next time to see if that helps it hold together.
    Good stuff!

9. dallen

The flour,salt,pepper mix doesn't get mixed with water. I put the flour, salt and pepper in a zip loc bag and put the duck in and shake. you should have pieces of duck coated with the dry powder mix. Then fry. I like the teq/lime idea. I think I'll try that.

By the way, I have cooked it for several people who did the :( :z thing when I said we're having duck for dinner. So far, I haven't had any left overs to take for lunch. Glad you liked it.

10. Rick618

Yep, I had the dry coated chunks, well damp from the marinade but mostly when flipping the pieces over some of the coating comes off, then more comes off when the water hits the mixture. May have to tinker with a higher heat to seal the crust better. Either way it was still good.