You guys use goose flappers?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Tailfeathers, May 17, 2017.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

We do. In fact the one worked so good, I bought one last season and added it to our spread.
    We usually let them flap a few flaps when the birds are well out there, then not flap once they look headed our way. I am thinking of adding a pole extension so it looks more real with two different birds at two different heights landing. How bout you guys? th-16.jpg

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

no

3. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Ive ran an old school bigfoot full body made into a flapper off an on the past 12 seasons with mixed results,some hunts they ate it up all the way to the ground,other hunts the first pull of the,cord sent them to the next spread.

salthunter likes this.
  4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Is it a spinner or a flapper?

5. Stimmy

Stimmy Senior Refuge Member

Been using an old school Flocknocker pull cord flapper for years. Use it on every goose hunt. :)

6. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Mine is set up as a flapper.

7. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

I've been using the X Flapper for several seasons and it is great...when working. It's very fragile.
    However, I hunted over that Lucky Duck flapper a friend had last season and with my X flapper and his Lucky Duck we were pulling 'em in nicely.
    Not every time mind you, never seen anything do that, but you could tell it was a real asset on the hunt.
    So I ordered a luck Duck and it sits in my computer room as I type these words!
    However, take a look at my post in the decoy thread. I'm thinking it could be the latest and greatest...if it is!
    A rail runner.

BTW: Already thinking of different height poles for mine when hunting with other two guys I know that have them.

8. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Can the birds tell the height difference from above? I doubt it. I think a piece of black fabric on a stick would have the same results.

9. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

A flapper is the same principle as flagging,,, both can certainly draw attention to your spread. Flagging from your blind does draw attention to your location in the spread if you continue to flag as the birds get close which depending on the quality of your hide may or may not be an issue. I do like the idea of a flapper set away from your blinds that can be used on close in birds to focus their attention away from your hide.

That said, we haven't used our pull cord Higdon Flapper very often as it is a PITA to set up,,, and keep working with clumsy dogs and hunters around,,, and I don't like being tied to it ,,, may have to take a good look at the lucky duck motorized flappers.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  10. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

We hunt Honkers, and they tend to approach from a flatter plane, lower to the ground where a difference in heights of individual decoys might be an asset.
    But heck, I don't know yet!