You guys use goose flappers?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Tailfeathers, May 17, 2017.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

As with most everything waterfowl related, pressure no doubt played a roll, but aside from huge spreads they were pretty much lost in, I've had poor luck with the elevated "flying" goose decoys I've tried. It's too often as if the birds hang up waiting to see what they're going to do - and then bug out. That was particularly evident when I followed their creator's advice to deploy a early Goose Magnets downwind of the spread, as if coming to it. Proved much less detrimental to move them to the upwind end of the spread but, ultimately, not beneficial enough to continue fooling with them. Non-moving "flyers" were even more suspect and apt to be counter-productive. And kites only seemed beneficial when given a qualified operator to provide slack and cras...er, "land" them as birds approached - which is to say too dang much trouble.

BirdJ likes this.
  2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Exactly what happens around here.
    And when you may have only 2 groups of geese in a day its not worth bumping a flock.
    Stale birds on a snow covered field you may as well be standing in the field: when Ive used them they seem to work better in a larger spread or a rough field

3. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

If you are only getting two groups a day over your field...You know you need a better field.

4. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

Spoke with some waterfowl industry folks at Rogers waterfowl show last year. All of them, except the one selling motorized flappers, politely said they didn't use anything except the traditional flags out of your layout. Most pointed out the unrealistic part of the wing spread when not being used

5. Fsbirdhouse

Sounds reasonable until you've seen a different result.
    I think that I must live in a bubble where Mojos and goose flappers seem to be of some value.

I expect nothing of an exotic nature to remain effective forever,
    But I'll use mine until I see differently.

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

"Exotic" isn't the problem, it's birds that have been stomped by enough elephants to learn to leave them alone.

(Knew you lived in a sweet bubble the first time you posted a photo of your blind. If it works for you, it works for you.)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  7. Fsbirdhouse

I suppose I consider all the motion decoys a bit exotic. I know Dad, and his Dad before him would have thought so too.
    But now they are the norm, many of the latest generation of young wildfowers never knowing a time they did not exist.

8. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Never had much luck with flapping decoys for geese. Flag works good enough hit them at a distance and maybe on the turn. Don't see many geese on the ground with their wings out.

9. speckinator

speckinator Refuge Member

Flag only. Been working for 30 years for me.

10. Fsbirdhouse

Flags can only work marginally for me, and only at long distances as I hunt out of a stand up blind.