You guys use goose flappers?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Tailfeathers, May 17, 2017.

1. speckinator

speckinator Refuge Member

How many times have you got out of the blind to take a leak and had geese suddenly appear out of nowhere feet down and coming in. Those geese saw movement and came to investigate. The flag gets their attention at long distances and it's up to your decoy spread and calling to bring them the rest of the way in.

2. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

How many times did I see 'em come to the X Flapper or Lucky Duck flapper is what I'm going on.
    X flapper over several seasons, but admittedly only saw the Lucky Duck last season.
    I'll see much more this season.

3. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

We use a big permanent blind on one of our ponds and sometimes flag em on the corner if it looks like their going to leave. It works well as he have decoys all around the blind

4. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

Even better way to get geese feetdown than recycling coffee outside the blind is for your buddy to take his gun apart after he gets a jam!!!

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for all the info. The way we work it is we hit the flapper for a few seconds when they are a good distance away and watch their flight direction. If it's towards the lake, we hit it again, then again. We also flag early on. Once they change their direction to us we don't move a thing. Just a little calling. I also made a wheeled motorized remote decoy out of a shell and a kid's motorized truck toy. All it has to do is move forward about a foot and then right or left a little. Again, all while the geese are " out there". We found this stuff works. Not every time but enough that we are glad we have it. We also found a couple of days in the season that nothing will sway them from their flight from their feeding grounds a few miles away in their direct line to the lake for watering and resting.
    There is a flapper that folds out it's wings, flaps, then folds it's wings back in. Very cool, very expensive though. But then again, whats a couple hundred bucks more when we invest so much time and money for other gear over a few years.
    Just reading and writing about this is giving me good anticipation in looking for the summer to be over and the Labor Day resident season to start.
    Again, thanks guys.

6. klitzy38

klitzy38 Senior Refuge Member

We use a Molt Gear Magic Mike flapper on every hunt and find it very beneficial. There are times where birds need flagged all the way to the ground and it's nice to have the flapper away from the blinds and in the spread.

7. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^^What He said.

8. yogibear

yogibear Senior Refuge Member

Magic Mike all the way.

9. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Been there, done that..... more times than once.....

10. TN_Hunter

TN_Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Yes I agree I got some tent stakes with eyes bolts to keep the flapper cord lower to ground. Still gets tripped on but not as bad.