You know why we get our *** kicked most of the time?

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by The Other David, Feb 4, 2002.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

It's because we, as a group, don't care enough. Read this post. It's all about how well organized the opposition is. THey care. THey really, really care.

We have guys posting on this forum complaining about how their rights are restricted, and they don't belong to the NRA, or even any of the duck organizations.

Please, spare me. If you don't care enough to belong to organizations, you just don't care enough. You, as an individual, have little influence. You, as a member of a larger organization, can have tremendous influence.

Read about what these folks have planned. Will they get their wishes during the Bush administration? THey will get some of them, because the states will pass laws. THey might even get some thru the Congress and have it tied up with other legislation that forces the President to sign it.

If you think you have nothing to worry about for the next few years, or because you only have a shotgun, you are being very, very foolish. And, you're part of the problem. Please, no fantasies of how they'll never take your shotgun! That's crap, and you know it. If you don't have what it takes to fight now, you don't have what it takes to fight when the going gets tough.

Now switching my soapbox to the OFF position!

David

New England Group Finds Value in Regionalism
    2/4/2002

Nearly a year ago, a group of gun-violence-prevention activists from five New England states met for the first time in Boston to talk about issues of common interest. When the day was done, participants spoke of their hopes for continuing the regional gatherings.

Best intentions often fail to materialize, of course, but the dedication of the New England group has proven to be the real thing. On Jan. 24, activists representing a dozen organizations gathered in Boston for what has become a regular quarterly meeting of the group and made plans for ever stronger coordinated activity by the group.

Prominent among those new plans is for a daylong meeting of "key legislators and advocates" from each of New England's six states. At the Jan. 24 meeting, which was hosted by Join Together, representatives were asked to start thinking about whom they might invite to the meeting, to be held this spring. The purpose of that meeting will be to allow legislators and advocates to network and attend workshops designed to spread the use of good ideas on preventing gun violence and fostering discussion of new ones.

Information-sharing is central to the New England group's modus operandi, and it's not necessarily restricted to state and regional issues. On Jan. 24, representatives from the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence and the Consumer Federation of America Foundation made the trip from Washington, D.C. to update the New England group on national developments.

Becca Knox, Northeast Regional Director for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence United with the Million Mom March, told the group about a bill, H.R. 2037, that deserves activists' full attention because it is an attempt by the gun industry to prohibit litigation against them and because the bill, introduced by Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) already has 203 House co-sponsors. She also reported on legislative developments to regulate gun sales in the secondary market, such as gun shows. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) is on the verge of introducting a bill that would require universal criminal-background checks on all purchasers and Knox said that the Brady Campaign is supporting that effort. The Reed Bill to Close the Gun Show Loophole is also pending in the Senate, and Knox provided an overview of that measure as well.

Susan Peschin, firearms project director at the Consumer Federation of America Foundation, spoke to the group about regulating guns as consumer products. Peschin pointed out that firearms are specifically exempted from regulation as consumer products by an act of Congress, making it difficult to regulate the industry effectively. She said that a bill by Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-RI) that would give regulatory power over firearms to the U.S. Treasury Department has been reintroduced.

One of the advantages of vesting regulatory power in a government agency is that "when you have a regulatory agency, you don't have to legislate every little change," Peschin said. Design standards could prohibit the manufacture and sale of cheap "Saturday-night specials." Size standards might govern the production of easily concealable yet powerful "pocket rockets" that have been an industry trend. There could be recalls of reportedly defective products like the Remington 700 rifle, which has been the subject of a CBS News investigative report on deaths and injuries caused by the rifle's users who claim that it has a faulty safety.

Participants talked about how their own groups might promote regulation of guns as consumer products. They also took time to talk about common problems each is facing in trying to continue the fight against gun violence. The top concern, everyone agreed, was fund-raising.

They also talked about how belonging to a regional network like this one is helpful to them. Jude Pearson, executive director of Massachusetts-based Stop Handgun Violence, said she's found that the group is helpful because other members are good at recommending resources, "and all state groups need access to resources."

Ron Pinciaro, a board member of the Connecticut Collaborative for Education Against Gun Violence, said that "hearing each other's problems and the approaches that different people are taking is important."

Mike Gipstein, coordinator for the Great Lakes region of the Brady Center and the Million Mom March, said that he'd like to use the New England group as a model and "try to replicate it in the Great Lakes region."

When the meeting concluded, members said their goodbyes to each other and began thinking ahead to the next meeting in April.

2. BigBullGator

BigBullGator Senior Refuge Member

I am with you David.
    A few things caught my eye though.
    There is no mention of membership size. It may be that this group has thousands of members or they could have 10 with big plans. I have heard that the Brady group will go just about anywhere they are asked. Coming from an un-named media source I have to question it (not that the media is liberal or bias).

Secondly, keep up on what your legislators are doing (i.e. my rep Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.)). Write, call, or e-mail them often. They do hear you.

Often times the VOCAL MINORITY makes more noise than the SILENT MAJORITY. We may not even be the majority. We are, however, protected by our constitutional rights. This fact is not enough though. Even if this is a small group of bored, confused housewives, we must take them seriously. Join the NRA now. It cost about the same as a couple of boxes of non-toxic shot and way more valuable.

3. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

I am with y'all on this one, too. It is part of the "I only yell if it happens in my backyard" mentality that most hunters/shooters have. They have started going after skeet & trap clubs based on public nuisance and environmental angles. The anti-groups are resourceful, tenacious and motivated. While we get smaller every year. TAKE A DOZEN KIDS HUNTING.

4. AmiableLabs

AmiableLabs Elite Refuge Member

Actually it makes sense.

The antis are slaves to their emotion, as evidenced by their willinglness to ignore facts and twist the truth. "The end justifies the means" in their eyes.

We on the other hand, follow logic and reasoning, principles of right and wrong.

The heart/emotion has always been a superior spur to action than the mind/logic.

We need to get fired up. Somehow. Someway. Some day. Or we are going to lose it all.

Kevin

5. PaGa

PaGa Senior Refuge Member

I couldn't agree more. Great post . I know many hunters who for one excuse or another don't belong to the N.R.A.. This is a great shame for if the two anti's ever join forces we wil be doomed.

6. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Totally with you on this, TOD and all you others.

The same problem exists locally. I and a few others have been working since last summer to get support for an amendment to the SC Constitution to protect our rights to hunt, fish and take game. We have made umpteen posts on the SC forum on another board, and it has totally disgusted me how few "outdoorsmen" even bothered to respond. The thing that really galls me is that even my wife argues with me about my feelings about our gun rights.

If we don't figure out a way to get everyone here to respond just like they did over the damn Jeep ad, it will only be a matter of time before nasty things really start to happen in the legislative front.

7. stuffedgreen

stuffedgreen Senior Refuge Member

Reading this thread, I wonder if I am doing enough, I belong to organizations,...... and I have a little fun on thier forum! check out the link I posted under "check this out". It's like arguing with a group of drunks. You just can't get anywhere with them. It's a little educating as well.:D

8. frank

frank Guest

The phrase "Think Globally, Act Locally" applies to hunters rights too.

Get involved at your local gun club level to shed a light on what hunters do for the environment. Get kids and non hunters involved in our sport.