You like Black Brant?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Chris Nicolai, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Chris Nicolai

Chris Nicolai Elite Refuge Member

Hey everyone - The long term black brant project that I was a part of for 15 years is in desperate need of some help to make the project happen this year. Two grant proposals were recently declined and some of us are trying to raise $30,000 to maintain a project which has been occurring since 1946. The hope is money can be raised to allow this year of data to be collected while new funding proposals can be developed for the future. We are planning on doing an online fundraiser with raffles and auctions on April 7, 2018. If you can help with donations, we'd like to hear form you. One thing in particular we are hoping to do is get 12 black brant decoys to auction of a custom black brant rig. I'm in for a decoy, as is Mike Hruby and Pat Gregory, and hopefully some others can hop in. Donated brant hunts from both coasts are very encouraged too. Black Brant are known for being banded, likely longer than most folks know, and we need some help to continue this effort. We made a facebook page to keep folks informed and more news will be coming............ PLEASE SHARE OUR NEW FACEBOOK PAGE!
    https://www.facebook.com/Black-Brant-Research-2014242845497460/

Silver Wings likes this.
  2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Chris hopefully they can make this a sticky. Hopefully CWA can kick in a little to help this project out as CA hunters benefit and harvest black brant. Create some way to donate. If I don't buy anything in the auction, I will donate to the cause if there is a way.

3. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

04012FF6-91EA-4C39-BB29-84410B79C38C.jpeg

Tarsal bands and they eat better than specks. Plus they are the dumbest of all waterfowl. Who doesn’t like black brant?? I’ll try to play in the auctions, although I rarely hang with those with deep pockets. I’ll buy some raffle tickets too, and tell the people in my limited circle to pony up or else. $30k is not a huge number in the waterfowl community. Hopefully the project can continue. I don’t do Facebook, so please keep us posted here.

Silver Wings and Johnny Ringo like this.
  4. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Going hunting... got your message talk later

5. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Lots of weak Wastebook folks on here, myself included, keep us up to date.

6. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for all your work.:tu

How much is a decoy?

7. Spec

Spec Gold Refuge Member

Maybe the Black Brant dinner in Morro Bay can help out talk to the people down there as they have a fund raiser dinner every year. Our own Black Brant is a member of this forum and dinner down in Morro bay. I donate to that dinner every year this year I made them a special Black Brant walking stick.

slucrew1 likes this.
  8. AJCsurf

AJCsurf Elite Refuge Member

Ed Miller (Black Brant) is a great guy. If you guys remember the old CWA mag, Chris' kid(s) were donning a Black Brant beanie on the cover. Cool stuff. Ed would be the main POC for looking info funding potentials but Chris might've already known that. :tu

slucrew1 likes this.
  9. Black Max

Black Max Senior Refuge Member

I'm more than willing to bid on auction items. As many others here, I don't do FB. Keep us posted.

10. Chris Nicolai

Chris Nicolai Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the interest guys. Yup, been in touch with Ed at Morro Bay. He was there for my kids first night in a tent nearly 10 years ago when we attended their dinner. Here is a photo from her this year. She rips it up with the .410 side by side; all the decoys she made. I'll keep posting to this thread as things develop. I know brant are special to a number of folks and we wanted to reach out in these tough times.

Attached Files: