You probably get this all the time, but... please help

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by skeller001, Jul 10, 2011.

1. skeller001

skeller001 Elite Refuge Member

I just posted this on the photography forum since I really love photography and it will be the focus of my trip.

Alaska vacation, who can help me?

OK, the wife gave me a green light to plan a trip to Alaska next July. I want to do most of the travel with a rental car or RV so I can do what I want and when I want. There are 2 things I really want to do, fly to Katmai for some bear viewing and a wildlife/birding cruise in the Kenai Fjords. Oh, Denali too of course.

For those who have been there or done research on it do you have ANY reccomendations on what to do, where to stay, or ANYTHING else. I have wanted to do this for years and can't wait. Any help you may be able to offer will be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

Search back a couple of years and you will find additional info from other askers for info.

Katmi/Brooks Camp
    Fly into King Salmon and then out to Brooks for the bear viewing. There are also general sight seeing flights from King Salmon as well, but for the photo option you will want to spend a couple of days and take at least one flight from the Camp. Go fishing as well. If stuck in King Salmon then stay at the Blue Fly B&B. Its owned by a young lady from Colorado that followed her flyrod up here. She gets booked early so plan now if you want to spend a day out there and photo the fishing life.

Kenai Fjords
    There are several tour ships operating out of Seward. However, there are some days when the seas are too high and they can't turn the corner to get into the Fjords. You will get a refund most of the time. Also recommend College Fjords out of Whittier. Some of the same operators running boats in both places. If you want a little more adventure you can do sea kayaking in the Fjords using one of the smaller operators in Seward. They rent the boat and gear and drop you off and then pick you up.

Denali
    Camp at wonder lake or park on the highway and take a tour bus in for a day. If you are going to do the RV rental then head across the Denali highway between Cantwell and Paxson. No giant hill lost in the clouds, but remote Alaska road at its best. Critters all over tundra covered hills.

Other stuff
    There are a few RV rental places in Anchorage to set things up with. In July there will be fishing going on all over Cook Inlet, but Kings will be over mostly. The last part of July you can start getting into reds on the Kenai and silvers in the salt down in Seward.

3. skeller001

skeller001 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Ray, that was very helpful. I think we are leaning towards a rental car and hotels.