Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

You think grizzly bears are troublesome....

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Cariboo, May 31, 2004.

1. Cariboo

Cariboo Elite Refuge Member

The amount "best bear protection", "best bear rifles" , "best bear avoidance" threads I have seen on many different internet sites over the last few years makes me think some people are scared of bears for some reason.

Here in BC we are blessed with some of the highest bear populations in the world (25% of all black bear and 50% of all grizzly in Canada) but it may come as a surprize that they are no where near the deadliest critter we deal with. GO HERE for the true story. Once on the site scroll down until you see the link leading to animal involved fatalities 1969 - 1997

2. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

I always said them damn horses would kill you...

3. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

No surprise there. A coworker's father is in the hospital with a broken vertebrae in his neck after being thrown by a horse while roping cattle for branding. He has company because he is bunked right beside his best friend who had his pelvis smashed while riding the back country.

I still carry a 20 inch barreled coach gun when I hike or camp the mountains though. Have had 2 close calls and 3 other tense encounters with black bears since I came to Alberta which have led to one dead bear and a half limit of ducks eaten out of the back of my pick-up.

F and W were looking for a cougar that wandered through my subdivision last week and chased a griz out of the local RV park last summer.

The chances of attack are remote but I'd rather have to explain the situation to the wardens than have them explain my remains being found in bear **** to my wife.;)

4. HeathK

HeathK Senior Refuge Member

What was the close call/tense encounter that led to the dead bear?

5. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

Deer hunting in Fort Mac one Fall. Of course, hunting deer, I slipped into the edge of the clearing very quietly and sat down to wait for a buck to show up. About 30 yds ahead of me was a shallow gulley and the clover laden clear-cut stretched out behind it. After an hour I heard some cracking in the bush close by and was expecting a deer or moose to amble out. 30 minutes later and no animal apeared and I assumed I had been winded or the critter had simple traveled away.

Next thing I know a large black bear pops out of the gulley and sprints to within 20 yards of me with his nose up in the air searching for scent. I bring up the rifle and all I see through the scope is black. I open the other eye, see the hair on his back stand up and see him take 4 or 5 rapid steps towards me. I pretend I'm shooting ducks and point along the side of the barrel and pull the trigger. He spun, bit at his shoulder, attacked an innocent willow and ran of 20 yards before hitting a downed log and dying before he got over it.

Big bugger, his teeth were mere nubs worn almost completely smooth, though his skull was no bigger than the 250lb'er I shot this past fall. He had (no lie) 11 inches of fat on his back between the skin and muscle.

I always carry a bear tag now. The $13 means that for 7 months of the year, I don't have to explain my actions ifWinnie comes investigating.