You will do greater things than Jesus did...

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by RefugeHunter, May 14, 2007.

1. RefugeHunter

RefugeHunter Elite Refuge Member

Jesus said so himself.........

John 14:12

"I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."

How could Jesus possibly say this?

Is it true?
    (That is a redundant question for those of you who "excel" in divining other people's motives and intent.)

How can this be?

Those words would be in red for those of you with Bibles that have had additional "features" added to the word of God by men. :cool:

2. ARKANSAS

ARKANSAS Elite Refuge Member

:l :l :l

Should I burn my bible?

Theres commentary in mine and some additional references to other related verses to that scripture.

Making fun of your fellow man will not get you anymore crowns son.

3. sjstrz

sjstrz Refuge Member

Jesus said this in the context of " because I go unto my Father" refering to his ressurection and ascension. He also said that he would send the Comforter,the holy spirit, "for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you".
    On the day of Pentecost Jesus Christ "poured out the gift of the holy spirit"
    This anointing enables believers to " heal the sick, raise the dead, cast out devils" etc. These are some of the works that Jesus did and those that believe on Him can do also because of the gift of the holy spirit which Jesus said he would send. The greater works may refer to greater in number because of the greater number of believers filled with the holy spirit doing these works. In the gospels Jesus sent out the 12 do do these works then he sent out 70 to do the same. The power and authority to do these works was because of the pesence and power of the holy spirit.
    Jesus was anointed with the holy ghost and that was the power to do the works.
    Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that wer oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
    The anointing of the holy spirit on a believer enables him or her to do the works, with the power of God.

4. RefugeHunter

Not making fun, simply pointing out the extreme view of some (which is often funny).

Some who have hissie fits about adding anything to the word of God will swallow chapter numbers, verse numbers, paragraph headings and red lettering without batting an eye. They just can't see that as adding to the word of God after all those are "good" things and those other things are "bad" things that have been added to the word of God.

What I'm advocating is that Christians step back and look at the forest rather than finding a set of trees they agree with and then labeling everyone else as "bad".

5. RefugeHunter

So you think Jesus meant "more" rather than "greater" like a greater number.

I'm not sure about that.

Maybe God's scale of greatness is different than ours.

Do the angels in heaven rejoice when someone is healed? Do they dance when a miracle is performed?

The crowds followed Jesus because they wanted a sign ("All I need is a miracle...." ) but a sign was not what they needed.

An incredible thing happened at Pentecost, a chain reaction was let loose. That chain reaction was not in place/was not working until after Jesus left.

Miracles, signs and wonders are one thing, could it be that a "spirit filled life" is greater?

There is one thing Jesus could never do. He could not repent. He could not be redeemed. You could not see a before and after Jesus.

6. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

Good post!

7. TPM

TPM Elite Refuge Member

RH, what are you getting at?

Are you aware of those who are doing things greater than the Lord Jesus? If so, could you mention who they are and what exactly they are doing?

8. RefugeHunter

I thought I just did that in my last post.

I will reiterate........

The age of the church and the spirit-filled believer was ushered in at Pentecost. This was a new thing.

Before Pentecost, Jesus the sinless one could be indwelled but others were not. The spirit of God could not abide in a sinful man. Grace was coming, but it had not arrived in the heart of man. Those near Jesus "glowed" like Moses' face but they could not retain it.

When the veil was torn and the spirit was poured out at Pentecost the spirit of God indwelled the hearts of repentive/believing men. God's spirit co-mingled with ours and we are re-born, re-created, called from the dead. The living dead. God's grace gloriously displayed in the show-case of a sinner's life.

This is a greater thing!

It may be the "greater" thing that Jesus spoke of.

Jesus was emphatic that it was in the disciples best interest that he leave them. The reason for this was that the spirit would not be poured out until he left.

9. onionhead

onionhead Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Psalm 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. 12Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. ...800 years before Pentecost the Holy Spirit lived in David - and he begged God not to take the Holy Spirit from him.

Acts 4:24 When they heard this, they raised their voices together in prayer to God. "Sovereign Lord," they said, "you made the heaven and the earth and the sea, and everything in them. 25You spoke by the Holy Spirit through the mouth of your servant, our father David: ...... In the days of Acts believers realized that David was, as he claimed to be, indwelt with the Holy Spirit.

Acts 7:51 "You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit! .... The Acts writer plainly says that the Holy Spirit was moving on the hearts of people before Pentecost - just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit!

Exodus 31:2 See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah: 3And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, ..... God said that He "called by name Bezaleel" and also said "I have filled him with the spirit of God"

Isaiah 63:10 But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them. 11Then he remembered the days of old, Moses, and his people, saying, Where is he that brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of his flock? where is he that put his holy Spirit within him?

..... Genesis 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD. The Grace was in place - pre-flood.

Psalm 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. 12Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit ..... 800 years before the veil was torn David knew the Holy Spirit.

In Matthew 3 the Spirit of God is coming on Jesus, like a dove .... Matthew 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

....The scriptues record the same Spirit of God coming upon Saul ....

1 Samuel 11:6 And the Spirit of God came upon Saul when he heard those tidings, and his anger was kindled greatly. 10And when they came thither to the hill, behold, a company of prophets met him; and the Spirit of God came upon him, and he prophesied among them.

.... Saul exhibited one of the gifts of the Spirit - prophecy. Filled with the Holy Ghost "he prophesied among them."

1 Corinthians 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

.... Many gifts, prophecy among them, but the same Spirit, as Paul plainly writes. The gift of prophecy that Saul recieved, he recieved from the same Spirit written here about by Paul in 1 Corinthians

Numbers 24:2 And Balaam lifted up his eyes, and he saw Israel abiding in his tents according to their tribes; and the spirit of God came upon him.

2 Chronicles 15:1 And the Spirit of God came upon Azariah the son of Oded:

2 Chronicles 24:20 And the Spirit of God came upon Zechariah the son of Jehoiada the priest,

The scriptures say that the Spirit of God came upon, Jesus (Matt.3) Saul (1Sam.11) Balaam (Num.24) Azariah (2Chron.15) and Zechariah (2Chron.24)

The Bible contains many instances of the Spirit coming upon men. Pentecost was not the first time. Thats' a myth.

Sound advice.

10. TPM

TPM Elite Refuge Member

Oh, OK. I get it now.

Just so happens I was listening to Back to the Bible last night on the radio and he was talking about this very subject. He suggested that the "greater things" include things like the thousands converted at Pentecost. The Lord himself never saw those types of mass conversions. Other similar works the church has done over the centuries and the abilities of ministries to reach millions of people.