You will do greater things than Jesus did...

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by RefugeHunter, May 14, 2007.

1. onionhead

onionhead Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Its a selected honor now. He does not fall on any except those He chooses. We don't choose, He does. He falls on whom He wills. The vast majority of those calling themselves believers on this forum have not experienced what Saul did or what you have, I'm sure you'll agree.

Wing the verse specifies the Holy Spirit by name - it says explicitly, "resist Holy Spirit" - not the prophets or prophesies. If he would have meant prophets or prophesies, he would have written prophets or prophesies but he wrote "resist Holy Spirit" - and he wrote it under the direct guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 7:51 "You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit!

They were resisting the Holy Spirit, we know this because the Bible plainly says they were. They were making a decision to resist Him. They had a choice to resist or not to resist - same as me and you.

It is not for all now - same as then. The Spirit falls on who He will, I'm sure you'll agree with that. Obviously it does not fall on everyone today - even among those who claim Christ Jesus - He comes as He chooses now, just as then.

If the Bible did not say that the Holy Spirit was present and coming on people before Pentecost there would be no issue - but the scriptures contain many accounts of the Spirit of God indwelling people prior to Pentecost.

Thanks Wing. Some folks just can't get past the milk.

2. Band Man

Band Man Elite Refuge Member

And why are we hatefull people ?

3. onionhead

onionhead Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Pentecost is an example of "Christian" tradition clashing with Biblical record.

RH's statement, "that Christians step back and look at the forest rather than finding a set of trees they agree with, is right on the money here.

Sometimes we swallow huge discrepancy's for the sake of which traditions we choose to follow. Many times its tradition that seperates us - well at least sometimes.

I can't see His Spirit poured out on all flesh right now, I'm sure it will happen exactly as prophesied but "all flesh" is not current.

16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
    17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
    18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

Personally I think the Acts writer was saying this is an example of what Joel wrote. That it would be, at some future point, like what they were seeing happen in Acts, not the "all flesh" that Joel wrote of - for we can clearly see that even among those calling themselves followers there is a denial of what Joel prophesied - and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Take the Holy Ghost inspired visions, dreaming and prophesying promised in Joel and add to them to the gifts of the Spirit which the Bible plainly teaches and you will have a list of explicit Bible inspired promises that mainstream Christanity will deny at every opporitunity - you can see it on this forum.

When a preacher, teacher or writer makes the statement - "I had a vision" or "in dream" or "the Spirit came upon me and showed me" - they are flat out labled a nut, kook or cultist. And rightly so from what we can see - but how are we going to know the genuine article when it shows up if we are so quick to dimiss it ??

The Bible promises it but we deny it.

It was the same way back in the day. Its the same today as it was then .... You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit! Acts 7:51

4. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

I disagree.....Pentecost is the first time that "the promise of the Father" was poured out to ALL men. Before that time the Holy Spirit was for select people.

I can....and I do. (I see it every Sunday) Of course it is to "whosoever will"....and not just a mass flooding......It will never be a flooding that encompasses people that are not willing.

Of course.....but it is NOT talking about the "indwelling" of the Holy Spirit. It is speaking of Stephens Holy Ghost annointing, and the individuals ignoring what he was saying....just like their fathers did with the prophets. (Kinda like what you are doing to me right now:grvn :sp :grvn ......Just kidding!!!)