Young dog that is hard to stop on running birds.

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by willowtreelabs, Nov 7, 2008.

1. willowtreelabs

willowtreelabs Refuge Member

I need some help? I have a 7 month old YLM that is doing great pheasant & Duck Hunting except for one thing. The first couple of pheasant in the morning last week he just wanted to run to the end of the field. so of course being a young dog he kept following. he is cc and ff but with his drive in the morning and the smell of the birds took ahold of him there was nothing i could do to stop him from running 100-150 out to the end of the field till the birds flushed then he came back. I have worked him on crippled chukars and i can get him to stop whenever i want to. 10' , 2', 75 yards away from the chukar i can stop him. this was a different scenario that i have never seen from him before. i have always been able to whistle stop him or nik him with the collar at a 2 or 3 setting and that was all it took. I don't what else i can do to stop him except put him back on a lead. I do not want to use the collar at a high level so i don't make him dead to the collar. After the first field i was able to stop him every time. I this as simple as maybe throwing some bumpers to tire him out a little. He is the most active lab i ever have had. He comes from some field trial dogs.

2. Playa

Playa Elite Refuge Member

Is you pup a pointing lab? if so, some additional "whoa" breaking may be in order. Pheasant are tough quarry, especially for a young pup, they produce lots of scent and your dog may have had visual contact with the bird too.

But it sounds like what you are describing is an obedience issue. If you pup truly is sound in ob, and CC, then he should handle a command such as "remote sit" a little bit better. You might try working on your command to stop using a situation where the dog has actually scent and sight of a bird, for instance a tethered pigeon.

3. cancan

cancan Elite Refuge Member

sit and sit to the whistle must be drilled in so tight that pup cannot refuse.

4. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

I know you dont want to do it but turn up the collar. It should only take a couple zaps before he learns.

5. cancan

E collar would only be the answer after sit is really drilled in hard.

My dog will sit with a live bird standing 5 feet in front of him....and all it takes is the S dragged out to SSSSSSS (hiss) which is the first part of the word SSSit. If he isnt putting his behind on the ground on that S sound then i would have to say Sit isnt drilled in like it can or should be.

Just my 2 cents.

PS my dogs prey drive is thru the roof....drilling OB for 14 months when he was young was the best thing i ever did. Go back to heal drills and all basic OB with emphasis on sit, and drill in that sit. Then use the e-collar if needed.

6. willowtreelabs

willowtreelabs Refuge Member

Thank You Guys for all the advice. I have stepped back to ground work with him and have stopped all the field hunting on saturday. I did take him on saturday and we did not see any birds. However i kept him close and worked on whistle sits all morning. We hunted till 10 or so and got sick of the rain. We went home and once it stopped raining i put a chukar on a real thin line and left it run out in front of us and kept whistle stopping him to a sit command. I then went into using a pheasant and so on and so on. I only used the collar 2 times. I even made up different scenarios. I also went over to the neighbors corn feild on sunday a left a pheasnat run out in front of us to see if he would fail and he did not. all i had to do was whistle him and he stopped and sat down. I am not going to hunt him any more on upland birds until next year even though he showed great response to the training this past week and this weekend. the only upland hunting will be at home in a controlled scenario. With him i always thought i was in control until that day that he started running the birds he never once showed me that he would do that. I was always able to stop him before. the dog showed me a different side of him that i have never seen before. I took his age for granted and how well i thought his training was.

7. cancan

sounds good willow...he'll be a champ next year I am betting....sounds like he's got a good owner.

8. bumper

bumper Senior Refuge Member

some more yard work is needed....but with that being said, here is my take on your situation....a good pheasant dog with drive and determination will always bump a few birds....try to keep him in range, but remember he is just a pup. through experience, he will catch on quickly to hunt for you and not himself....it usually takes a couple of years for the dog to figure it out...sounds like you have a good one