Young earth and a couple of geophysical and astrophysical questions

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by The Other David, Aug 24, 2007.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

And I am neither a geophysicist nor an astrophysicist, and am in awe of the convoluted explanations provided to physical evidence by Young Earthers...

Question 1. The evidence is overwhelming that the major land masses are floating on a molten core, and that they are moving slowly. Mostly westward, I think. The people who study this say it has been going on for a long long time. Millions upon millions of years. But at some point in the past North America and South America were tucked up against Europe and Africa.

So, if we assume that the earth is 7,000 or 15,000 years old, and that civilization was started right off the bat (Adam and Eve and all their children and all the other unexplained people that their children married, etc), why is there no mention of the original land mass and how it quickly moved away? After all, we are talking about 3,000 miles within 15,000 years. That's about 0.2 miles per year, something that would be noticed. If the land masses were together then, and they are apart now, shouldn't there be a LOT about that in the Bible? THis is not a trivial event, having continents drift away at 0.2 miles per year.

2. Astrophysicists have determined that many or most of the galaxies in the sky are a long, long ways away. So far away that it takes years, maybe thousands of years, for the light they emit to reach the earth. So, if the earth is but 15,000 years old, how could light that has been enroute for that long and longer just now be getting to us? Were the stars and galaxies present before Genisis, and the time estimate is only for the earth?

Now, in terms of debating the issue, I think it is fair to say "I have faith, that is what I believe." That is the end of the discussion. But if one enters into scientific debate, then there are rules of coherence, evidence, data, that must be followed.

I am interested in the explanations for these topics.

Thanks,
    David

2. stubble hunter

stubble hunter Senior Refuge Member

With respect to Point 1 i'm not quite sure what you are referring to but i'm assuming one land mass. I don't see how this is inconsistent with Biblical teaching. One land mass prior to the flood, during the flood the land mass separated (underwater aquifers opening up and mountains rising out of the sea and plates shifting) and civilization restarted where Noah and the ark landed. The Bible teaches that all living creatures aside from those on the ark were destroyed and the new lineage descented from Noah and his family.

With respect to point 2, I won't claim to have all the answers but i have some creation researches allude to the fact that God may have created a mature earth. For example, adam and eve were able to reproduce shortly after being created as well as the animals that inhabitated the earth.

3. Pepperjack

Pepperjack Elite Refuge Member

The answer to the question of "How long did the earth exist before the Lord did all that he did and put Adam here to take care of it. Which he did not.

Pepper

4. RefugeHunter

RefugeHunter Elite Refuge Member

Possible answers for you:

1. Genesis 10:25 "Two sons were born to Eber: One was named Peleg, because in his time the earth was divided"

Personaly I'm not convinced that division of the continents would have been included in the Bible, it's neither a geology or geography text book. Is has no bearing on the problem addressed by the Bible. Just because it's significant to the scientific mind does not even make it a blip on God's radar. I think God would say: "Big fat hairy deal."

Also the fact that the continents are drifting slowly now does not mean they always have. Things floating on a liquid can move quite fast given the right circumstances. The Earth's rotation creates a huge centrifical force that actually bluges the Earth at the equator. A massive spinning object such as the Earth seeks to maintain an equilibrium. A large galactic collision or a massive collapse of the sea floor could generate forces beyond belief that could literally re-distribute land mass at nearly visible rates.

2. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth....." then a long gap in time.

There are actually quite a few people who hold this "gap theory" of Genesis chapter one. But once again, what bearing does this have on the problem at hand?

Here's one to chew on.......

Day 1 - there was evening and there was morning
    Day 2 - there was evening and there was morning
    Day 3 - there was evening and there was morning
    Day 4 - there was evening and there was morning
    Day 5 - there was evening and there was morning
    Day 6 - there was evening and there was morning
    Day 7 - there is no evening and morning

Did the writer just forget? Or is there something there?

Are we still in the 7th day?

And if so, why are the first 6 days 24 hours apiece and yet the 7th day isn't?

5. Dave K

Dave K Senior Refuge Member

David, Faith and Science are like oil and water. Science is in the bussiness of PROVING things. THings that can be seen, shown, held, touched etc. Heck it wasn't all that long ago that it was COMMON thought that the earth was flat. It wasn't all that long ago that it was COMMONLY accepted that the atom was as small as it gets. THose things at the time were pretty well looked upon as facts. Now, we all know better. It is funny how science has back peddled on so many things over the years and scripture has stayed the same. I think if you did a bit of digging you would find many cases of science PROVING scripture.

Faith is much different then science. You either take God at his word or you don't. I would direct you to Second Peter 1:20-21. If you belive that, you should come to the conclusion that everything God needs you to know is included in his word.

6. jonnyyuma

jonnyyuma Senior Refuge Member

It is interesting that the some of the early arguements for a flat earth can be attributed to religious leaders and the bible. This was inspite of the observable evidence.
    JY

7. The Other David

The church was a big supporter of the earth being the center of the universe, as well.

8. ARKANSAS

ARKANSAS Elite Refuge Member

And who is "the church"?

9. The Other David

That would be the only Christian church of the era.

10. stubble hunter

stubble hunter Senior Refuge Member

the term "christain" could be debated, but we can leave that for another topic. just because the "official" church fathers said it was so doesn't mean that 1) its true or 2) that other christains who actually read the Bible (remember reading the Bible for yourself in that era was frowned upon) held that belief. while the church in the past was very obstinate, today i think we've swung the other day and take everything that "scientists" say as gospel (excuse the pun). some church denominations today tell me that homosexuallity is permissible, they must be reading a different version(s) than are on my shelf (not that i'm the final word by any stretch of the imagination), don't drink the kool aid, search the word for yourself.