Young earth and a couple of geophysical and astrophysical questions

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by The Other David, Aug 24, 2007.

1. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

how did the ones studying this come to their conclusion that it has been happening for millions of years. Each side has to rely of faith. I choose to have my faith in the Bible they have their faith in the current understanding of events that cannot be proven. My point is with faith the dots are not completely connected thats what makes it faith. I cannot prove you wrong and you cannot prove me wrong that is the only fact I see here.:yes If you find a time machine I will send my sister in law with you and then we can get the provable answer. Till then I will be happy believing the bible and if you want to believe otherwise then that is your decision and I am at peace with that but it sounds like you just want to argue:cool:

2. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

SH,

I am one, myself, and I look at everything offered up by scientists with a lot of skepticism. We all should. Yet, when it comes to understanding the world around us, science in general has done a pretty good job. Good science, and good scientists, are always questioning, and should be ready to acknowledge their mistakes. It may take a while to change scientific beliefs as they weren't easily accepted in the first place.

3. The Other David

You have some understanding of the scientific questions posed here before you can enter the debate.

No. Scientists believe in data. At least good ones do.

Faith is believing in something without evidence that it is true. Faith is inarguable. If your faith is all that you need, then you are in a good position.:tu I truly believe that.

Proof is a pretty high standard. Beyond certain mathematical proofs there are few. However, none of the observable scientific data provides any support for the idea that the earth is young, and all of it provides evidence that it is very old. Of course there are knowledge gaps. That's what keeps scientists off the streets and out of trouble!:l

Now that's funny!:nutz

Not argue, debate. I know I've got it mangled, but polemnos semnos philos means something like knowledge thru friendly debate.

4. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

When the knowledge gap has to be bridged by science is it not faith that a scientist is using to do the jumping with.:confused: If all the data is not present then what do you call it when they fill in the blanks. I do not have all the data to debate you in this so do not expect to get alot of satisfaction from it:p All I can say is that I have been presented the data from a christian based point of view and have no trouble with siding on the side of young earth. Also I am not against science and do not want to come off as that way. I just put scientist and engineers in the same group. With all they know sometimes it is hard accept reality sometimes but I know little and I have a hard time with reality too so oh well:tu

5. The Other David

Yeah, I know what you mean! WHen reality gets to be too much I go hunting or fishing!:tu

6. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

David,

I definitely don't belong to the young earthers (The sun did not appear until Day 4 in Genesis, and we define a day as sunrise to sunrise, so what time frame did the first 3 days occur in?), but do believe in a creator and personal savior.

That being said, the best book out recently that bridges faith and science is "The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief" by Francis Collins (Director of the Human Genome project, a scientist of great acclaim, and an evangelical Christian).

7. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

Who said anything about the first 6 "days" being 24 hours each? I don't recall ever reading that in the Bible.

8. njking

njking Elite Refuge Member

Before the flood of noah there was one land mass Then God opened the heavens and the fountains of the deep These fountaind of the deep could be the cracks for plate techtonic theory which fits better that the "normal science" theory that the plates have been moving for millions of years, becuase to get their theory to work you have to shrink the african continent by at least 20% to even get it close to matching the other continent and that is not even mentioning the modification one would have to do to the others.
    One more cool fact Niagra falls move back about 4" a year and if you calculate that to the length of the gourge it has form it puts in with-in a couple of hundred years of the great flood. Also if you take a topo map of the grand canyon you will see the grand canyon actually was gourge through a hill which is evedence for a failure of a natural dam due toa large flood one can look at to mount st helens eruption to find evidence of this theory from a gourge that was form from massive flood waters from the eruption.

9. The Other David

Thanks for the lead! I'll see if I can find a copy around.
    David

10. njking

njking Elite Refuge Member

You could also check out book called "GOD at Ground Zero" by Curt Sewell he was a scientist on the manhattan project and converted to a christian