Your best/favorite of 2008

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Wack, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Wack

Wack Elite Refuge Member

We've had some really great photos show up on the board this year, and probably some we've never seen.

How about everybody post up two or three of their favorite photos from 2008.

2. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Switching from film to digital in late 2007 and early 2008, the year has been as much a learning experience for me as it has the newbies on this forum.
    The transition has been a "hair-pulling" incident on some occasions and I've had the desires to toss these tekky toys in the drink on more than one occasion. It took years in the film end of this craft to master that animal and now technology has thrown another curve my way to add frustration and now finally some relief. Us old film guys are picky and fickle. Oh! and not to mention grumpy, crusty and egotistical as some of you duck mongrels have labeled me and I have done my best to live up to that inherited title.

All in all, I have to say that my favorite photo's on this forum have been from you guys. I've enjoyed watching you guys grow from "Heathen's with a new toy "to some fantastic and creative photographers. Some of you are getting close to the fine art label and others the skills of dedicated Photojournalist like Brother Overstreet. I must say that James has taught this old dog some new tricks as well as a great respect for his work and creative expression. Looking at James's work is like viewing a Spielberg Film. He is a stickler for detail and composition and probably doesn't even know it.

Then there is Susquehanna Gauge (with his size 45 hat and all) that will keep you in some of the best "In you face" Ducks I've ever seen. "If he keeps on getting published his head is gonna explode." (Yeah, I'm jealous).....

Oh and Blue Moon........with his great photos and words of wisdom. I thought I was bad with *****er-chatter on my post's. Mooney damn near writes a novel for every reply. What a great guy though; because I always thought folks from up near Dallas were a strange mix. We called them Texas Yankees down in Houston, but we did all folks north of the I-610 loop.

There's two though that I gotta say have been on my favorites list since I got on this forum. One named himself from what "women do behind the bushes"; Squatty McWatty, the South Carolina Swamp Mongrel and world champion culinary master of Crow de jour (of which I'm a close second) and
    the other a Montana Jail Bird Rustler, DETOFF Jaime who have both made my day on more than one occasion with their antics as well as their overwhelming talents in picking this costly bad habit up we have. Watching these two guys blossom has been a neat experience... "More Rodeo Girls", please Jamie!

There are so many on here, I can't name them all. We have become a closely nit group on this forum and pretty good friends as well which is more than you will ever find on the other photography interest forms and blogs. And we are all growing in our skills together.

As for my favorite favorite pictures.... I'm gonna post six and you guys should too:

The first two coming from a job and experience I was very happy with as far as natural lighting and subjects as well as a photojournalistic approach goes and that was right near home and the "Battle Of Hanover Civil War reenactment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I liked these two images from Lancaster County PA as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also two recent waterfowl images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So Guys, Lets keep it up and see what next year brings!

Jim
    (Dizzy)

3. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Pintails of the Outer Banks:
    [​IMG]

Blueridge Dove:
    [​IMG]

Lunar Eclipse:
    [​IMG]

Wasp on Horsemint:
    [​IMG]

Prothonatary Warbler in Four Holes Swamp:
    [​IMG]

Panhandling Alligator:
    [​IMG]

4. JakeSullivan

JakeSullivan Senior Refuge Member

Well since I just started about 2 days ago....I don't have a lot to pick from.

my favorite out of mine would either have to be the Brittney Spaniel
    [​IMG]

or my sister at X-mas playing with her presents
    [​IMG]

and last...the old chocolate dog...
    [​IMG]

I love the last picture Dizzy and Rubberhead the dove shot is awesome!

5. Detoff

Detoff Elite Refuge Member

Not an easy task to pick, tough to distinguish your favorites from your best I suppose... Then there's all the categories from portraits & landscape to wildlife & action. Alsok, Dizzy, you're too kind. I wouldn't be as far along as I am without help from folks like Overstreet & yourself! The talent & knowledge sharing on this site make it what it is.

So here's my choices...

Coyote
    [​IMG]

Cliff Swallow (published!)
    [​IMG]

A cowgirl for Dizzy...
    [​IMG]

A mountain stream
    [​IMG]

A Fall cottonwood
    [​IMG]

A morning goose retrieve
    [​IMG]

6. 2 tollers

2 tollers Senior Refuge Member

First I would like to thank all the folks for input that has allowed for the quality of my pictures to improve. This site is great -- just reading and looking carefully at presentation a person picks up considerable information. Even being called a "ninny" :cool: was very useful. Second to those that are great at what they do, thanks for taking the time for continuing to post up your shots as they give a target/goal to works towards.

These are some of my favorites from this year.

My wife listening to geese coming back to water on a night of a full moon. A year ago I would not have tried this shot.
    [​IMG]

Duff on a spec retrieve
    [​IMG]

Dragonfly
    [​IMG]

Sunset on the prairie. We spend considerable time on the prairie and it is hard to pick one sunset that captures the quiet and depth of isolation.
    [​IMG]

Last a picture that you guys coached me on considerably through the pheasant season.
    [​IMG]

7. Gude

Gude Elite Refuge Member

Those are some great shots guys - that Can shot is beautiful.

Not near the quality of your guys' shots, but these are some of my favorites so far this year

A Patriotic Limit
    [​IMG]

The Veteran
    [​IMG]

Ol' Glory
    [​IMG]

Sunset Mallards
    [​IMG]

Cleanin' Up
    [​IMG]

Droppin' In
    [​IMG]

8. Idlewild

Idlewild Senior Refuge Member

9. Idlewild

Idlewild Senior Refuge Member

10. paulie8pointer

paulie8pointer Elite Refuge Member

Great pictures guys! In April 2008 I got back into photography again after buying a 40d, 100-400, and the 100mm Macro along with my kit lens 28-135. I do have photo shop CS3 but have had little time to learn it. All of my pics are enhanced using only Canon Digital Photo Professional that came with my camera. (2009 I will devote time to learn PS - I hope) Anyways I have allot of favorites and it was hard to pick just six. My greatest joy is taking pictures of my kids and the challenge to capture a certain expression at the perfect time. I have much to learn but with guys on here like Dizzy - James - Jamie - Lame Duck - Blue Moon and Squatty to name a few....it makes learning allot easier and much more fun - So thanks you guys!

This is my first ever in flight shot in April - Boy was I proud of this! - Hell - today it would have been tossed!
    [​IMG]

This one reminds me of Dizzy!!
    [​IMG]

Boy - How they love grape jelly!
    [​IMG]

This is really different - A hummer at sunset
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what keeps me clicking away with my camera!
    [​IMG]