Your best/favorite of 2008

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Wack, Dec 27, 2008.

1. DropEmInDE

DropEmInDE Senior Refuge Member

Since this was the year i dove head first into Digital SLR Photography. It has been a real leaning curve for me. From the first time out running on Full Auto. To today, trying to figure out what f-stop to be at or what shutterspeed i need to stop the action.

I definitely want to thank everyone on this site for pushing me forward to get better and better. And for everyone who takes the time to comment on my photos and let me know where i need room to improve.

Heres a few from my learning curve. From the Rebel Xt and the 30D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DropEmInDE

[​IMG]

My 9-11 Tribute
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DropEmInDE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

DropEmInDE,
    Those greenwings are rough on bands, aren't they?

I killed one in salt water with a band that looked like the one in the photo. I wasn't even sure it was a federal band until I cleaned it with Lime Away and a brass brush. Turns out it was a USFWS band and he was banded on Prince Edward Island.

5. Pelican Guide

Pelican Guide Elite Refuge Member

Could you explain a bit about your technique on this one? I assume it was a long exposure time with a tri-pod?

Thanks!

6. DropEmInDE

Your exactly right. It was my first attempts at a long exposure. It was actually off a sandbag. Point is it was not handheld. If your shooting any of the Canon SLR Digitals. In your Custom Functions there are two Key functions to long exposures. One is the Mirror Lockeup, and the other is Long Exposure Noise Reduction. In Mirror Lockup mode. The camera locks the mirror up and out of the way on the first press of the shutter button, and on the second press of the shutter button it opens the shutter. This is to take any vibrations made by the shutter out of the Exposure. ( This photo was taken before i learned that function. ) In Long Exposure Noise Reduction mode. It was explained to me that the camera takes a photo of the image upon depressing the shutter button. After the exposure is up, the mirror drops back down and the camera basically takes another picture of the back of the mirror. Basically a black image and overlays it with the first one. This is to reduce any noise in the first image.

Hope this helps. And there are probably a few more people on here with more and better skill at long exposures. They could probably give a couple more tips and tricks since im still a rookie.

7. paulie8pointer

paulie8pointer Elite Refuge Member

A few more of my favorites.............
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Thats the second "portrait" of me you have posted you "Cheesehead". One more and I'll put a "Voodoo Curse" on the Packers for the next ten seasons!

Dizzy

9. DuckSpaz528

DuckSpaz528 Senior Refuge Member

this was an eventful year for me, i was able to get several shots published in a few different places. i took a lot of shots i am proud of, i will share a few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

Great Cans Justin!:clap