Your duck hunting improvements in 2017?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Golovkin, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

We duck hunters can be a hard headed breed, and tend to do the same thing if it worked once before but improvements can be made.

My improvement in 2017 was to work harder at concealment. Funny how we are concerned about the quality of paint and realism of a tiny decoy, but then think, "That pea brained bird won't see my big white face, box of shells, shotgun, or dog sitting right here."

I used to think tucking my head down and wearing a billed hat would conceal my bearded face just fine, face paint was just weird and extreme. My friend (that wears face paint) asked me why I tucked my face when the birds were coming in. I gave him the 'are you stupid look?' and said, "why do you think?" He replied, "If you can understand that birds can see your dumb face, why can't you understand that covering it with camo paint would help hide it? I tried to argue a little because thats what a duck hunter does, but his points were adding up and mine weren't.

He claims ducks see farther, and pick up on movement extremely well, so when my face is up looking for a duck, they see it before I see them, then I make it worse by moving my head down to "hide". I started face painting and its a better way. You can have your eyes on the sky a little more and it makes things easier and more enjoyable.

Following that experience, I've been working much harder at all forms of concealment and its really paid off. Some days it wouldn't be necessary because I would have had a limit anyhow, but it sure seemed to help pull in birds on the marginal days. I always thought my hiding skills were sufficient, but really trying to improve them paid off.

What lesson did you learn in 2017, or what skill do you want to improve in 2018?

2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Didn’t see this one coming as an out of the closet post, but bam there it is.

Face masks work just fine for straight people and face paint is shiny.

Allan and stevena198301 like this.
  3. Golovkin

Face paint is gay and wearing a mask is manly... got it. At least the part about duck hunters being hard headed is gaining evidence.

Mtneer1434 likes this.
  4. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Never felt the need to wear face paint and never will wear that crap.

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Learned I still don't need makeup or a mask to kill my ducks.

6. Golovkin

I learned that people who take a lot of selfies don't like face paint.

Mtneer1434 likes this.
  7. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I’ve started wearing a face mask last few years when I’m hunting out of my sneak boat. Can’t really hide my face too well when I’m laying on my back, looking up.
    Biggest thing I’ve learned this year is use your gear properly.
    For example, when your wife buys you a life proof case for your IPhone, you must install properly. That includes screwing in that little doo-dad that goes into the head phone jack.
    If you don’t do that, it is guaranteed you will float your hat.

Golovkin likes this.
  8. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I don’t wear a face mask when I’m standing on a corn pile, er, flooded corn either, or any other masterfully baited local.

When I hunt like a straight man, however, out in the wilds, my supple white skin has been known to reflect the particle/waves coming from the fusion sphere above my head. Genetic results may vary.....

9. cdill

cdill New Member

I figured out that I need to get my fat butt back in shape! A few too many times I was thinking, "Why do I do this again?"

In seriousness though, I downsized about 2/3 of my spread and went for realism. Don't know yet if it will pay off.

Golovkin likes this.
  10. Golovkin

You sound really familiar, before you became H2ODad, was your name Waterboy?