Your duck hunting improvements in 2017?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Golovkin, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

I started packing much lighter also, duck hunts were starting to feel like elk retrieves with all my decoys, chairs, etc. Get in, kill fast and get out! Seems like the less time you spend out there, the less things you need.

Fowler267 and cdill like this.
  2. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

I also learned that a case of remington nitro 2-3/4 #4's from rogers is really cheap ($6.99/box w/rebate) and kills decoying birds every bit as good as expensive 3" magnums.

SB2MAG likes this.
  3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Been wearing a mask since I was 9. Dad sent me around the pond to get a bird that died on the other shore. Told me to look back at him when I got there. He stood up, and the first thing I could see was his face. Then he put his mask on, and he blended in again.
    Shadows can help in that regard. If you wear glasses, ANY glasses, it is only worse.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  4. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Your Dad was wise to take a Sherpa to the pond. :tu

Duck_Hunter_TX and Banded1 like this.
  5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

When I've a party without masks, I don't wear one, try to teach them to watch our working birds from under a hat bill that's just about ticking the front lip of the blind and do my calling from behind the cover of my camoed off arm. But even if they actually do follow instruction to bow their heads and slowly sink down to their seats, instead of ducking fast while mooning the birds, some birds will still bust us before we spot them. So I'm a huge fan of everyone wearing a mask.

I simply won't wear face paint on a waterfowl or turkey hunt for largely esthetic reasons: don't want to look like one of the doyos who thinks he's going to war with a bird that can't shoot back. That, and I'm lazy: whole lot easier to drop a mask in my blind box or day pack than break out the baby wipes.

Allan and stevena198301 like this.
  6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

That's odd when one considers the rise in face paint and selfish took place at almost the same time.

buck_master_2001 likes this.
  7. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I used face paint 35 plus years ago hunting out of a boat with no blind, it helped. Haven't worn it in a few years but I still carry it in my blind bag.

Golovkin likes this.
  8. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

My favorite 2017 new item was having a kid I use to take hunting call (text or snap) me up several times this year and say " gotta a loaded field 15 minutes away wanna hunt"

Sure is nice as I get older!

9. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

My biggest improvement in duck hunting was buying a house in South Dakota.

Fowler267 and brentbullets like this.
  10. huntaholic21

huntaholic21 Senior Refuge Member

Where do I sign up for this?