Your duck hunting improvements in 2017?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Golovkin, Jan 1, 2018.

1. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

I learned not to believe everything I read around here.

brentbullets likes this.
  2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

3. 7summits

7summits Senior Refuge Member

It seems that most people that are against face paint are the ones that are afraid they might look like the Robinson's and their followers. If it works, use it. I also prefer a Jones hat over a baseball type cap. The Jones hat is round and less noticeable from above when looking side to side.

My main duck hunting improvement on 2017 was remembering to keep the wifey happy. Made for a much better season.

Phil Tucker and Golovkin like this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That’s why I’m looking for bottomland fleece camo. A buddy gave me a good mask when the place he got it from sent him extras. They told him to keep them, but they don’t make them anymore. I lost mine, but found it. That makes me want an extra. I bought 3 other kinds when I misplaced that one, and they all sucked. Time to make my own based off the one I like. I hate the feeling of face paint. Hate removing it.

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

My biggest improvement was something I always knew would improve my success but was never able to do when I was working. Scout. I retired during this past year and am able to spend a couple of days scouting during each week now. In years past, when the weekend would roll around, we would figure out where to go based on knowledge and experience based on past years hunts. But never from direct observation of where they are currently. There's nothing like calling up your hunting partner to make plans for tomorrow after you've identified the X.

Golovkin and brentbullets like this.
  6. aecrowell

aecrowell Refuge Member

My best improvement was anchoring my steel pit into the ground with two Mafia blocks. At Six thousand pounds each she seems to be holding. Time will tell as mother nature is a strong mean azz bitch. mafiablock.jpg

Fowler267 likes this.
  7. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Jimmy Hoffa in there?

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Interesting, I've always noticed stale ducks flare easily no matter what/where you are hunting, and new ducks allow you to get away with a little more. Then again, I haven't hunted over a crop of anything in a few years.

Glad to hear you've come to terms with being confused.

9. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

Face masks are a good deal, especially if they are cut so you can call easily and they don't impeded your hearing our vision. The only major drawback is when its really cold and they form into giant ice pucks.

10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

And if you wear glasses it is easier to fog them up in a facemask. That said, I wear glasses and often, a face mask.

Squaller likes this.