Your duck hunting improvements in 2017?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Golovkin, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Masks can be a pain for those who wear glasses (fogging and all). They make some anti-fog products that work, but none that work completely. Paint is better than nothing, and better than fogged up glasses you cannot see through.

There are also some face paint products that are less "shiny" than others... Charcoal has very little shine... I admittedly hate painting my face though.

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I hunt at a club in the grasslands in California... Considerable bird traffic, but tremendous shooting pressure. We generally hunt in single round pit blinds, sunk into small islands.

I believe concealment is one of the most important factors of success (outside of location). I use natural cover (found in the area I am shooting) to cover up our islands, blinds, and dog. I look for cover which will appear natural in the setting, and break up profiles... Each time I send the dog, I recover her with her camouflage cover, as well as natural cover on top of that.

I have really worked on hiding the dog, and working with and training the dog to sit still, not whine, and be comfortable in her little tub with cover on her... With a young pup, this has been a chore, but at this point in the season, she really has good blind manners. No breaking in the last 5 trips out, and laying down quiet... Next step is going to be this summer and working on blinds and multiple marking situations.

As our decoys are out all season, and already set up, I do make effort to change decoy arrangements according to wind, weather, or flight patterns of the day...

I have worked this season on keeping the calls in my pocket a bit more... Let working birds work without drawing attention to my location with calling... Don't call until they are low enough to shoot (at least on birds actually circling/working the pond).

Golovkin likes this.
  3. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

100% true, but see how I got you to admit the real reason you are against anyone using face paint ;)

7summits likes this.
  4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I really like using masks over paint.
    That folks running in convenience stores starting pulling guns from below the counter when I walked in with face paint reinforced my decision.

stevena198301, Golovkin and Squaller like this.
  5. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Leave the face mask on and see how they react to you in convenience stores.

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If you’re that dumb, you deserve it...

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  7. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

My biggest improvements this year were taking a couple weekends out of our crappy season and lack of migration and going trout fishing instead. Had I stayed all weekend and sat until my azz was numb to shoot 1-2 wood ducks and maybe a spoonie or gadwall I would have been sorely pized off.

8. 7summits

7summits Senior Refuge Member

IMO the biggest issue, even over your face shining, is movement. If you can't sit still and stay calm, it doesn't matter what you put on or over your face.

blacktail and bill cooksey like this.
  9. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

For sure, we had a 10yr old kid with us that got cold, so we had him go about 100yds behind us and told him to walk back and forth between two big trees untill his feet were warm. Even at a 100yds away every bird flared. People see how blind birds are at dawn and assume they don't see that well during the day, but movement must look like a death flare to ducks.

10. dnj21

dnj21 Senior Refuge Member

I bet you are a happily married man! Commandment 11 at my house: Happy Wife = Happy Life. I tell newly married duck hunters to know it, learn it, live it. Duck hunting is MUCH less fun with half your stuff :dv

Attached Files:

7summits likes this.