Your Favorite Arizona Refuge

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by Jim and Jake, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Jim and Jake

Jim and Jake Senior Refuge Member

How did National Wildlife Refuge (Cibola, Havasu, Imperial and Buenos Aires) do last year?

I only Hunted Cibola last Year

Cibola as come a long way in the last 10 + years for the Geese and Hunters

The Blinds have gone from dirt and mud to concrete!

The Island where 90% of the ducks are hunting as comes a long way. In the last 2 years
    With new ponds and small island to hunt on (with in the new ponds) but the red ants eat you a live.

Do think that Cibola is over hunted. What do you think?

Did not like the new Lotto the big blind board was a good idea but the round thing (I like the ping balls)?

Over all I give Cibola (B)

Jim and Jake

2. Widgnwhacker

Widgnwhacker Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I hunted Cibola last year quite a bit. It was a POOR year there. The Geese were not doing their normal routines. I believe that there was plenty of feed on and around the Goose Loop and the North Pond was flooded the whole season. In saying that, the birds never had to leave the protected areas until dark, when they flew back to Cibola Lake to roost. I hunted the Island Unit a few times and never did that well. Ducks Unlimited has spent alot of money there to make it better. There was too much salt in the soil to grow any good feed this year, but things should get better in time. I will be back up there next season hopefully with better results. I also think that the birds never really showed up like they normally do. Lets hope for COLD weather in Utah around Turkey Day and we should get a good push of new birds!!
    As far as Imperial Refuge, there is NO Hunting allowed there. You can hunt parts of Martinez Lake which is close to the Refuge. The Duck Hunting was ok around Martinez last season. Mittry Lake had some good days for Ducks. The Lower River and the Gila had some GREAT days!! Looking forward to next season.
    Thats how the Whacker sees it from here..

Widgnwhacker

MAY YOUR DOG NEVER EAT YOUR DUCKS!!!!!!!
    :p :D :p :D :p :D :p

3. Great White Hunter

Great White Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Cibola will be making some changes this year, can't remember exactly what they are but I know it has to do with decreasing the amount of hunting days (and possibly blinds?). Last year was not a good year for us other than a good two week run about the middle of Dec. Not a good migration combined with flooded fields added up to very spotty hunting. I don't think this year will be much better. I'm probably gonna try some more spots up in the central valley this year.

4. Widgnwhacker

Widgnwhacker Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

GWH,

The limits that are going to be imposed upon Farm Unit 2 (DECOY FIELDS). From what I hear it will be a Wed. Sat. Sun. only hunt. Not good for guys who drive long hours to hunt at Cibola. You can thank USFWS for that one. They believe that will improve the overall hunting opportunities on the Farm unit. We will have to wait and see.

Widgnwhacker

MAY YOUR DOG NEVER EAT YOUR DUCKS!!!!!!!
    :p :D :p :D :p :D :p

5. Jim and Jake

Jim and Jake Senior Refuge Member

I have been trying to get a Wed - Sun hunt for 6 years now.

But each year the Ca. hunters and the (CWA) had the hunt at 7 days week

Havasu as there hunts on Wed, Sat and Sun hunt with all blinds killing birds, but the draw is hard

With Cibola 7 days a week hunt there only one week each year you can kill birds very day
    (Sorry I can not till) my name is mud now with asking for a 5 day hunt

It would be a good hunt with only a 3-day hunt. But think the Refuse lose money with $10 x 3 hunters
    X 18 blind.
    They're only 6 blinds that will kill birds about very day in Dec, and Jan

Jim and Jake