Your first successful upland hunt?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Pasty White, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Pasty White

Pasty White Senior Refuge Member

Hey all. We need to liven up this forum a little bit. How about this? What was your first successful upland bird hunt? Gun? Species? Age? Here's mine. My first bird was a pheasant that I harvested when I was 13 and hunting with a great little springer spaniel and a .410 bolt action gun, I'm not sure who made it. Took 2 and 1/2 seasons to get that bird and I've never been more proud of anything else I've harvested. Funny, I've shot more than my share of all types of birds since then but I don't remember any as clearly as that one. How 'bout everyone else?

2. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Elite Refuge Member

The first upland bird I shot was a **** california quail in the Yakima valley. It was a really snowy day and the bird flushed out of a tree and I shot and dumped him over a little frozen pond. Didnt have a mark on him. Absolutely beautiful bird. I was shooting a 28 gauge that my mom had been given as a wedding present from a friend of my dad's. I think that I was about 8 or 9 and I know I was wearing an oversized hunting vest and an orange penny that get in my way every time I tried to shoot.

3. USMC

USMC Elite Refuge Member

My first upland bird was an Eastern Colorado wild Pheasant rooster. Shot him on my very 1st time out. Shot him with my Benelli SBE, Federal 2 3/4 copper plated #4. He flushed from grass thigh deep and scared the living day lights out of me!:l You all know how that goes. Last season I tried SD and what an experience. Guess were I am going again this year, I am hooked!:sp

4. Padilla Bay Goldens

Padilla Bay Goldens Senior Refuge Member

My first upland hunt was in 1968, I was 8 YEAR'S OLD and my dad took me hunting for Pheasant . I got off the shcool buss, and dad was waiting in the his truck for me, we took off up the road to a tall grassy feild and we got out , dad reached behind the seat of the truck and pulled out a brand new steven's 20 ga. and a box of #6 shell's and said let's go hunting. we walked in about a hun derd yard's when a big rooster got up from in front of my feet, I was so pumped up that I only gave that poor bird about a 1/2 second to fly befor I shot it, took the poor thing's head clean off. And ther we stood , feather's coming down all around us, and I remember dad laughing and saying, That was the dambest shot he had ever seen.
    pbg

5. Huntdogman

Huntdogman Senior Refuge Member

My first upland hunt was here in Kansas when I was 11. I went with our pastor and my dad and a brittany. I carried a single shot .410 that was my dads when he was younger. We didnt see one pheasant the entire day but saw tons of quial. We all got our limit that day even though it got somewhat expensive with the number of shells I shot.:) It was a great way to start off though.

6. jroth

jroth Senior Refuge Member

1973, S.E. Ohio (yes "Big Muskie area), permanently hooked on grouse.

7. wingmann17

wingmann17 Senior Refuge Member

I believe I was 13 years old hunting wild Illinois pheasants. I was in a small patch of woods when one of our party who was walking a tree line towards up sent a big **** pheasant our way. The bird was gliding above the trees when he got to me. He thought he was home free when he flew over me. One easy shot and he came tumbling through the branches. I was so excited that when he hit the ground and started flopping all over I started yelling at my Dad if I should shoot him again.

That was over twenty years ago but I remember it was like yesterday. Great times in the outdoors with friends and family are hard to forget. I can't wait for the season to start again. :)

8. garydakota

garydakota Senior Refuge Member

My first bird was way too many years ago to recall accurately. The one I remember the most now is my current dogs first bird. Dakota is a BLM, he was about 10 months old. We had been doing retriever and waterfowl training but no upland. My cousins bird dog, that we used all the time, died suddenly. So we decided to try Dakota. We hadn't been in field 30 minutes, hit a lttle patch of Sorghum and he got really birdy. Flushed a big rooster that flew threw a fence into a cow pasture, neither my cousin or I could shoot right away because the bird was so low. When we could shoot the bird was hit, I have no idea by which one of us, but not hurt real bad. The rooster then ran into a standing corn field. We had to cross 2 fences to get to the cornfield, after crossing the first I looked around for Dakota, he was running around in the cow pasture, I said to my cousin, "Looks like he is trying to find the bird". We then crossed the 2nd fence, as we turned around to start hunting the bird Dakota was sitting at my feet with the rooster in his mouth. That was 4 years ago this coming fall. Dakota is one pheasant hunting machine, gets better every year. I now have a little female pup out of him, that got her first bird last year, but that's another story.

9. chow

chow Refuge Member

My first real upland hunt was when I was 14 in MI hunting with my father behind a great springer named "Regie", with my grandfathers Ithica model 37 featherweight that he "sold" me for a buck. We were walking down a narrow patch of corn when Regie got birdy. A nice big rooster came up and two shots later he was on the ground. I was so excited I could hardly stand it.

This year in Iowa I had another upland first. I was able to harvest the first wild rooster behind my at the time 9 month old golden "Bailey". This was extra special as she is my first dog, and I have trained her all myself. We were hunting a great piece of public land with ideal brush, corn, and weedy cover. I was hunting alone as wasn't supposed to meet up with my group till the next day. About 250 yards in Bailey started acting very birdy. A short 40 yard nose to the ground tail wagging wildly trail later the rooster jumped up. One shot later the bird was on the ground and about 20 seconds later Bailey had the bird located and brought back to my side at heel. I was so proud of her that day.

I hate to wish away the summer but, it wouldn't break my heart for fall to get here NOW! (LOL)

chow

10. duckhunternate

duckhunternate Elite Refuge Member

The first upland bird I shot was a rooster pheasant. I was duck hunting a little pothole on my family's property, I had shot at a few wood ducks and missed. As I walked back out through some river bulrush and cattails a rooster jumped. I shot it at about 10 yards with a load of steel 3" 2s. :D :D He came down in a pile! I think I would've been about 15 or 16 at the time.