your go to call

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by 11-87 killer, Feb 20, 2015.

1. 11-87 killer

11-87 killer Senior Refuge Member

What is everybody's go to call when that big old tom is on his way? Mine is the raspy red reactor by woodhaven calls. Just trying to get the turkey forum going because I know I'm getting the itch!

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I like that one! And if he ain't close, I like the stinger. I'm a big Woodhaven fan. Also like to play on the glass. Have a couple different ones I might or might not carry on any given day. As for a box, I have a single sided one I like.

3. CAF

CAF Refuge Member

I have used a primos little heartbreaker one sided box call for a number of years. It seems to be a call I use often and sometimes in tandem with a slate style call or two. Called many birds in with it. My favorite slate style was made by primos years ago. It was called something like the Titan 2000. With a purple heartwood striker it sounded quality and I used it to work many birds. Lost it in the woods and they stopped manufacturing it so I never found a replacement. I can't tell you how much gear I have lost in the woods chasing turkeys, but it seems every year I leave some type of gear out in the woods.

Probably the call that has put more birds in the back of the truck is not a turkey call but is my Big Guys Best Goose Call. It has helped me put several birds to bed and locate many on the roost in the morning.

4. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

If that tom Osceola is on the way I shut the heck up.:D For close in I do like the Tom Gaskins little box. Aluminum pot does carry sound a long way. I used the Preston Pittman mouth calls a while back but also agree the Woodhaven are good quality. I have an older Ben Lee double hen box call that is sweet.

5. BOB_HARWELL

BOB_HARWELL Senior Refuge Member

I don't understand the meaning of 'go to' call. What are you referring to?

Bob

6. 11-87 killer

11-87 killer Senior Refuge Member

If you could only take one call in the woods what would that call be

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Oh! My Woodhaven stinger.

8. BOB_HARWELL

BOB_HARWELL Senior Refuge Member

It would be a box call, made by Lamar Williams, Darrin Dawkins or me. I mostly hunt with box calls that I make, but will use theirs a few times a season.

Bob

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I just got some Woodhaven mouth calls in the mail... I am impressed, and they are vastly superior to the HS calls or Primos mouth calls I have used in the past...

I also ordered some custom Gooserbrat calls that I have heard are very good as well... So, I guess I will see in a couple of weeks which would be my go-to call...

My wife purchased a new box call from Paul's Calls which I am looking forward to using as well...

I love a box call for drumming up a gobble a long ways off... I got away from box calls for a bit, cause I considered them too simple, but a good box call sounds all turkey, and can be very versatile...

If could take one call into the field it would be a diaphragm call though... Currently it would be one of the Woodhaven calls I just got. Nothing beats the versatility of a diaphragm, and nothing is better for finishing a close bird without movement required.

10. green-hntr

green-hntr Elite Refuge Member

A 10 dollar slate from Walmart that I bought 15 years ago......lil deuce.

A 8 inch box call from Redneck game calls of the east coast for the windy days. That's it. I have killed more birds with that little slate than any other call I own.